Saturday, 29 July 2017

The Dual Character Inquisition Tag

    It's time again for another tag! The wonderful Victoria @ Wanderer's Pen tagged me for the Dual Character Inquisition Tag, which I'm so excited to do! Thanks so much Victoria!


    I originally started answering the tag questions about Taylan and Mida from my Camp NaNo novel Golden Revenge, but a quarter of the way through, I felt like I had answered similar questions for them before, so! You, dear reader, get an exclusive sneak peek of my latest WIP, Of Traitors and Tricksters. I'll be sharing about the story's two main POVs today, Bakari and Ebonee.

    Here's a short blurb about it!:

Bakari is a traitor. Promised to be healed of a disease that makes even walking difficult, he kills the prince, his master. When he's betrayed and caught with a bloody knife, the royal family sentences him to execution by magic at dawn. Yet as the sun rises, the magicians discover he may be harder to kill than they thought. 

Ebonee is an entertainer. Having fled from a rogue magician gang with her younger sister, she now dances for their food in the palace. But old friends and enemies are not finished with her yet, and want one last favour... A favour that could free her from their clutches forever. All she has to do is perform one tiny trick. 

How harmful could it be?


   Right, now to the tag!

1) Who inspired this character?

Bakari -- He sprung from one word: traitor. From there I had to ask myself who this traitor was, why he was a traitor, etc., until I got to the core of who he was.

Ebonee -- She too came from a word: trickster. I was trying to think of a title for this WIP, and "tricksters" sounded good with "traitor" so... 

2) What is their weapon of choice?

Bakari -- He'd prefer not to be violent. At all. But if absolutely necessary, he'd take a curved knife.

Ebonee -- Magic. She'll use her mind-reading talents to peel apart the layers of your brain to render you basically useless. (But only if you try to harm someone she loves. The rest of the time she's quite kind to others' brains.)

3) Have they ever been physically violent with someone else? What instigated it?


Bakari -- Well, there was that one time with the prince, you know. *nods to blurb* I can't tell you the details because, well, spoilers. 

Ebonee -- She prefers sparring mentally with magic, but in the past she's had to fight her way out of situations where others have wanted her dead. Also spoilers, sorry!

I'm using elements of Ancient Egyptian and Hebrew cultures in this WIP, so finding an image of Bakari or Ebonee is a little tricky! This is a pretty accurate representation of what Ebonee would look like preparing for a performance, though!
4) Are they more of a rule-follower or a rebel?

Bakari -- He was a rule-follower growing up, but now he's been pushed into a place where he has to be a rebel to survive.

Ebonee -- Sort of in the middle. 

5) What kind of child were they? Curious? Wild? Quiet? Devious?

Bakari -- He was quiet and timid; the kind of child who would hide behind their parent's legs and peek out.

Ebonee -- Loud. Very, very loud. She could not stop moving, dancing, or running. And she loved to tell everyone and their sheep about her opinions on matters of "great importance."

6) Where would they go to relax and think?

Bakari -- Outside on a balcony at night, with the stars splashed across the sky. It's a quiet, peaceful time where for once burning gazes aren't fixed upon him.

Ebonee -- Before her apartment's fireplace. She would pull a stool up before its crackling depths with a cup of hot tea and watch the flames dance. It's comforting, to be surrounded by nature's rhythm.

This is similar to where Ebonee used to live
7) Do they have a temper?

Bakari -- No. He's more likely to cower and think it's his fault than blow up.

Ebonee -- A slight one. If you say something to insult her choices, or what she's doing to keep her little sister safe, you'll probably be yelled at.

8) Would they be more likely to face their fears or run from them?


Bakari -- Run. Run far, far away.

Ebonee -- She'd face them with some trembling but face them nonetheless.

9) When they are upset, do they turn to other people or isolate themselves?


Bakari -- He turns to his father for guidance. No matter what bad decisions he makes, his father always loves him and is there for him.

Ebonee -- Isolate. She wants to protect her little sister from her fears, so she pretends that nothing is wrong.

10) Say 3 things about where your character lives (as broad or specific as you like).


Bakari -- In a palace made of polished limestone and layered with vibrant murals. He once had a servant's room, but now he lives in a larger, but heavily guarded, room near the Magicians' Quarters. The room's furniture is hard and stiff, yet the scent of blossoming jasmine wafts through the narrow window. (I think that's more than three, but oh well!)

Ebonee -- An apartment within the Dancers of the Moon Compound. There are two bedrooms and a warm, cosy living space decorated in firelight and patterned wall hangings. Her dance partner and friend, Lapis, lives next door.



    So there you have it, a glimpse into the lives of Bakari and Ebonee! I officially tag the following bloggers so I can read more about their lovely characters:



And of course, anyone else who wants to do this, consider yourself tagged!
What WIP are you working on at the moment? Tell me about it! What are your thoughts on Of Traitors and Tricksters? Who would you prefer to have tea with; Bakari or Ebonee?
Good luck with your writing, and have a phenomenal day! <3

24 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for tagging me! It was really fun to read your answers!! Also, I want to add that your picture for this post is so beautiful and well made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Gray; I'm eager to hear about your characters! :D Aw thanks so much. That's really lovely of you. I struggled quite a bit with getting it "just right" so your words are really appreciated. :) Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Ah! First time double tagged! Heehee, I'm getting around to this one - it will be part of a GIANT 4-tag post.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh whoops! Does that mean you'll do the tag for four characters...? ;) Awesome; I'll keep an eye out for it! Thanks so much for commenting Catherine!

      Delete
    2. That's ok, I was tagged for it weeks ago by Rachel @ R's Loft. Heavens, I'd go nuts!!! LOL you're welcome

      Catherine

      Delete
    3. Haha yeah I bet you would! XD Feel free to only do two characters. ;)

      Delete
  3. Awesome post. Its fun to read about two contrasting characters and see their personalities. I've always loved posts about characters in novels. You did a great job. <3

    God bless you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Ivie! That's incredibly lovely of you to say so. It means a lot to me! <3 I'm really glad you enjoyed reading about them. God bless, and thank you for commenting! :)

      Delete
  4. Loved reading this post! These characters sound fascinating. I'm also a sucker for traitors and tricksters.....I love twisted, morally grey people ;)
    Happy writing, Melissa!

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! :D I'm so happy you enjoyed reading about Bakari and Ebonee! Haha yeah I am a bit of a sucker for them myself. ;) Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  5. This is so cool Melissa! Plus the idea <3 I love it, your characters have so much life and spice! And the title is just AHH, let's just say I'm REALLY excited to see more on this idea because Egyptian and Hebrew literature has got to be my absolute favorite. I'm an ancient culture nut XD.

    I'm definitely looking to reading more about this WIP and thank you for tagging me! :)

    Anna - www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Anna! <3 I'm super glad you like the idea and my characters; they're already becoming precious darlings to me. And yes! I'm a bit of an ancient culture nut myself; I went through a long phase where I was obsessed with Ancient Egypt, so where better to include it than in a story? :)

      You're very welcome! I can't wait to see your answers. :D Thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  6. AHHHH THIS IDEAAAAA *flails wildly* Also Bakari "preferring not to be violent. At all." just makes me really curious cause like HE KILLS HIS MASTER SO I'm so curious and excited to read this eeakjshlfkje. Also I love the way you put Ebonee's "quiet place".

    Also I'm not sure who I would have tea with? Probably Ebonee, since she's a cool dancer person and I think conversation would flow better with her. Also, I think I would be somewhat uncomfortable having tea with a murderer *gnaws lip and smiles apologetically* SORRY BUT IT'S TRUE. I wouldn't know what to say XP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWW THANK YOU! You always make me happy when you like my ideas. <3 *hugs* Yes, Bakari is certainly an interesting bean, and you shall see later why he kills the prince... ;)

      Haha yeah, having tea with Ebonee would definitely go smoother than having it with Bakari. XD Oh don't apologize! Bakari has plenty of realllyy awkward conversations in the story for that reason. XP Thanks so much for commenting and your lovely words, Hannah! <3

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for tagging me in this! It looks super fun! :)
    And I love the sound of your characters, and the concept for this novel. I like those whole 'a good character has been forced to do a bad thing' conundrums, so I'm definitely interested to hear more about this story and what happens to Bakari and Ebonee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Laura! :) I look forward to reading about your characters! XD
      Aw thank you! I'm so glad you like Of Traitors and Tricksters and all my precious "children", haha. I'm a big fan of those conundrums myself, which is why I suppose I'm writing this story. ;) Thanks so much for commenting Laura!

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness. Every single story you write sounds so stinking amazing. I can't wait till they're published and I can devour them all. >:)

    Also: I think I'd like to have tea with Ebonee... granted she does no brain-peeling mental tricks on me XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Jeneca! That means a lot. <3 I can't wait til they're all published too, haha! ;)

      So long as you don't try to harm Ebonee's sister, I think she'll be quite pleasant over tea. XD Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  9. Love these characters, I am very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Skye! :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  10. Oooo this story sounds so interesting! I love stories set in ancient Egypt. ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! I'm happy you like the sound of it. <3 I'm a big fan of Ancient Egypt as well, which is why I decided to make it inspire the story's setting. :) Thank you for commenting!

      Delete