Saturday, 15 July 2017

Beautiful People - Author Writing Process Edition

     Hello everyone! I hope you're having a great July and aren't too busy with Camp NaNo/life! For me, it's that time again where I participate in Beautiful People. It's a wonderful monthly link-up hosted by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further in. (Do check out their blogs, they're fabulous!) 

    Usually I would introduce which character and WIP I'd be talking about here, but this month's Beautiful People is a little different. Its theme is "all about the author", so I'll be talking about myself, and my writing process! *points to title*



   Let's jump into the questions, shall we?

1) How do you decide which project to work on?

    I am what you call a snail-like writer. This means I might work seriously on only one or two projects a year (as far as first drafting or editing goes). I get a lot of ideas! But as I'm so slow, I have to hone in on which ones I'm really passionate about. If I get an idea and have no interest in it after a couple of months, I won't write it. If I love it after so long? It'll be next on my list!

2) How long does it usually take you to finish a project?

    Too long. *nods to above answer* Generally first drafts can take me between four and six months, second drafts around four months, and the rest varies.

3) Do you have any routines to put you in the writing mood?

    I get my glass of water, start blaring music in my earphones, and sit down. Then I write! Nothing super exciting.

4) What time of day do you write best?

    Late mornings/afternoons/evenings. Anything other than late at night.


This is a random photo of yours truly's journal where her writing progress is recorded daily
5) Are there any authors you think you have a similar style to?

    Ummm...to be honest I'm not sure? I try not to think about who I'm similar to, so I don't get caught up in comparing myself to them all the time. 

6) Why did you start writing, and why do you keep writing?

    I started because I wanted to get down the stories and crazy worlds inside my head. I keep writing because I've discovered my passion in it, and it thrills me like nothing else to explore characters and places that have been created in my imagination.

7) What’s the hardest thing you’ve written?

    Draped in Deception. In case you didn't know, I've set that story aside now. It will always have a place in my heart, but I struggled for months with trying to get the plot where I wanted it, and it still isn't there. Who knows, I might return to it someday!

8) Is there a project you want to tackle someday but you don’t feel ready yet?

    Ugh, so many! Like Draped in Deception, for example. (And no, I am not going to tell you the others because I don't have a fancy premise/blurb written for them yet.)


Unfortunately I look nothing like this stylish lady when writing. Except for the glass of water.
9) What writing goals did you make for 2017 and how are they going?

    I don't remember my exact words, but one of the goals was to finish second draft edits of Golden Revenge. And I'm almost there! So needless to say, I am very pleased about that. I also hope to complete the first draft of Splintered Crown this year.

10) Describe your writing process in 3 words or a gif!

    Slow but steady!




So there you have it, my writing process! (Granted, there's a lot more to it, but if you want to know the details let me know, and maybe I'll do a longer post!)
What's your writing process? What are some of your writing goals for this year, and how are they going? How long does a first draft usually take you?
Good luck with your writing, and have a great day! <3

29 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd say you're as snail like as you seem to believe. I've heard of some people working on the same manuscript for over a decade. Compared to them you're fast. :)

    Best of luck with your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I suppose I am compared to them (as would everyone else!). Thanks, I'm hoping that I meet my goal of 50 hours. :) Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting! XD

      Delete
  2. Lovely!

    I followed your blog, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you checked out my book reviews blog at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow as well! Excited to read more of your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much El! Of course, I'll drop by and see what your blog is all about. :)

      Delete
  3. I always love reading your answers to tags like these!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Gray! I'm so glad you like them! :D

      Delete
  4. Slow and steady wins the race. I think your writing process is really smart, I am all over the place with projects and I get nothing done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) It definitely does, or so I hope. XD Well, at the end of the day if that's the process that works for you, that's perfectly fine! Everyone has a different style of writing, and that could be yours. :D Thanks so much for commenting Skye!

      Delete
  5. This was so much fun to read!
    I love your answer to why your write. It is a truly beautiful answer and one that I must fully agree with <3 And honestly as far as first drafts, I have yet to complete one. I have not one single first draft yet but am looking forward to that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad, thank you Anna! <3 Writing is so beautiful, isn't it? :) I'm sure you'll get there some day soon! It took me awhile to finish my first draft too, so don't worry. I'll be cheering for you! Thanks so much for commenting! :D

      Delete
  6. *is SO jealous of the speed with which you complete second drafts* Though I usually whip out my first draft in one month, so maybe that's why second drafts take me so long? *sigh* also DO I GET TO HEAR ABOUT THE OTHER STORY IDEAS? PLEASE? *bats lashes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah that could be why! Usually by the end of my first drafts I already know which parts I want to edit and change, so I suppose that helps. XD Welllll maybe! *winks* Perhaps I'll tell you very soon... Thanks so much for commenting Hannah! <3

      Delete
  7. I think I need to learn something from your writing process -- I usually whip out first drafts in a month then have to rewrite them a dozen times xD My process can be described as "tornado" XP

    I wonder if ANYONE actually looks like that lady while they're writing... ;)

    Awesome post!

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I just realized I used the same words as Hannah when describing how I write my first drafts. Whoops xD)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! <3 Haha yeah, I think if anyone says they look like her while writing, then they're definitely lying! We all know we cry and wear pajamas most of the time. XD Oh don't worry about it, "whip" is a good way to describe it! I've wished many times to be faster at first drafting, but hearing all of you complain about the rewrites, I think I'm fine with my process haha! :) Thanks so much for commenting Audrey!

      Delete
  8. I am glad that having a glass of water whilst you write is customary for you. I hear that water is very healthy.
    First drafts take me....um....about three years? I write at the amazing pace of 10,000 words a year. I write so painfully slow that I cannot stand it sometimes, but I will keep writing if it kills me.
    This is a great post! I love getting to read about other writers' processes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D Wow that is quite a while, but I honestly believe that we all have our own process, and that it's the best for us. Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll get there! Good luck writing and thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm definitely a slow but steady writer too! In fact the only manuscript I've completed took about a year to complete, but I did keep stopping and starting with it a lot! :)
    Although I'm also the opposite to you because I do most of my fiction writing late at night, which is pretty odd really! :)
    Great post! I always love seeing other writer's processes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! :) Glad to know I'm not the only slow but steady writer out there. XD That's so wonderful that you finished your manuscript! Oh, I don't think it's that odd; I've met plenty of writers who stay up til 3 am to write. :D Thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  10. You record your progress? I've never thought of that! Would you recommend it highly?

    I'm a faster writer (banging out 70+ words in less than two months) but then I have to clean up all that mess during edits, so it's not the best idea, lol.

    *skips over to check out the "Beautiful People" people*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do! I've started recording all the writer-ly things I do each day before I go to bed. I find it really helpful in motivating me, as I always want to write something each day, and I can see how my editing/story has progressed! :)

      Oh dear, messes don't sound like too much fun. XD Good luck with your writing and thanks so much for commenting Julian!

      Delete
  11. Wow. So, looking at all these comments, I realize that I am definitely not the only slow writer in the universe. Not that I thought I was alone before, but... it's still nice to see proof :)

    So many of your answers are similar to mine, Melissa! We're probably kindred spirits XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely not alone Lila! I sort of thought I was the only one as well before, but from all the comments I think we can see that there are many slow writers... ;)

      Oh how lovely! We're totally kindred spirits then haha! <3 Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  12. It's cool to get an insight into your process :). I'm going to do this later this week. I like to do Nano style first drafts (like, in around 3 week). With Entreaty, I wrote in 17 days and edited in about 25 (with some planning in both cases before hand.) With Lighter places, I wrote the first k in sporadic bursts over like 9 months, then doubled that in a month, and now I'm at 35k and counting, hoping to finish this month. I've never got a novel to a third draft yet though. So far I've just done one major edit or first draft a year, but I also write lots of short stories and poetry, which are a whole different game (though so much fun to write!) But I'm planning to outline a series and write the first book in november and maybe do a major edit on Entreaty this year (or at least a minor one to get it critique ready) because I no longer have education to attend, so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, great! It sounds like your process is really working for you, and that's the most important thing. :) Short stories are lots of fun! I like writing them every now and then to get a bit of variety in my writing life. XD I can't wait to read your work someday Shanti! :) Good luck with your writing and thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  13. I love your 3-word writing process description!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Slow but steady is AWESOME!! People tend to get amazed that I write so fast, but honestly I'm kind of more like wildfire that ends up burning itself out if not careful.😂 So I admire you slow-but-steady writers!! :D And I absolutely love your answer to #6!! So inspiring and perfect. :')

    Good luck with the projects, Melissa! And thanks for joining in the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Cait! :D I think both processes are amazing in their own special way. ;) I'm one of those people who get impressed by your fast and furious writing style haha, but I can understand there could definitely be a burn out. Good luck with your writing too, and thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete