WIP Snippets!

   How dare life take place in November. Doesn't it know that I have NaNo writing to do?

   I guess it doesn't, because it hit me straight in the face last week. I was whisked away on a mandatory field trip for three days where I had no access to my laptop...so no writing. It was horrible. And now school has slammed a load of work on me and I have late dance rehearsals every day next week and...enough of me complaining. Simply put, I'm very behind.

   But! Being behind doesn't mean I can't share with all of you some snippets from my WIP, Safe-House. If you don't know what Safe-House is about, the simplest way of describing it is: Cluedo meets Six of Crows.

   All the snippets are unpolished due to NaNo so be warned!


   I really love this first one, said by Ash's sister Catfoot as a warning to him:
"The optimistic cat lost all nine lives jumping from the top of a five-story building because it believed it could land on its feet; the cautious cat didn't lose any because it took the stairs."
     From Mercy's POV:


 If Mercy's father was there, he'd call her into his study. They'd sit on the herringbone patterned floor, in the midst of a cloud of her cigarette smoke and his tobacco leaves, polishing daggers and sharpening blades. They'd toss about ideas for creating new weapons. Knives hidden in hairbrushes. High heels with actual spikes for support. A recipe for a metal that could pierce armour like it was nothing but air. 

But it was if Ash had found the recipe, and his masterfully crafted sword of smiles, touches, and warm words ripped straight through her chain mail. It sunk deep into her chest, piercing her heart. Blood spewed everywhere, painting her emotions with red tears. 



   I love the dialogue I get to write between Mercy and Clyde. 

A holler echoed from upstairs. "This guy keeps thinking I'm going to kill him! All he'll mutter in his sleep is 'mercy, mercy, mercy.'"

Mercy rolled her eyes. "He's calling for me, you idiot."

    Some more Mercy and Clyde banter...

Clyde watched Mercy with high eyebrows as Ash stormed off. "Nice boyfriend."

She huffed and stabbed the bottle of ink with the quill. "He's not my boyfriend."

"If he's your cousin the both of you are messed up."



    Description from Hood's perspective at night, after an invitation from Mercy to sit with her.

The two sat in silence as time ticked on to the thud of their hearts. The clatter of dishes and gurgle of water rushing out from the upstairs bathrooms to the nearby gutter mingled with the fading cheers of a distant bar. Newness, neither shiny nor gritty, drifted with the humid wind and settled on Hood's tongue. 
Mercy tipped her head up to watch the pinpricks of stars. "They remind me of my sister. Gorgeous and peaceful, but so far away."
Hood's words changed into a sweet, mellow tune with help from the voice box tucked into her collar. "Is she dead?"
"Maybe. I don't know."

How is NaNoWriMo going for you? Are you conquering it like a master or falling behind like me? Feel free to share snippets of your work in the comments too; I love hearing about your writing! <3

Comments

  1. I absolutely LOVE the snippets!!

    - Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Poulami! <3 That really means a lot. :D

      Delete
  2. Ahhksjdlafsdkfh these are so loooovely! (hehehe that intro tho - FOR REALLLL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! I'm super glad you liked them. XD Haha yeah life needs to stop interfering with writing, doesn't it? Thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love these snippets! (If you ever need/want a beta reader for thus, hit me up.)
    I'm not doing NaNo, but I am working steadily on my fantasy vs. steampunk WIP. One of my snippets - "Jasper was more than Ari's best friend - he was also his teacher, second father, and that one aunt who shows up at family reunions to lampoon your life choices while drinking your best wine."

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ellie! :D It will be awhile until I'll need beta readers, but I will definitely keep you on the list, thank you! That's awesome that you're working hard on your WIP. Love that snippet; it's so great! XD Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ellie! I'll go check it out. :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome snippets! I especially love the first one about the cats - taking the stairs is definitely sound advice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I'm happy you liked them! :) Haha yeah I would always recommend the stairs. XD Thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  5. Loved these snippets! You've got some real talent! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Grace! XD You have so much talent too. <3

      Delete
  6. I love the name catfoot. And these snippets are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Becca! I'm glad you like them. XD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts