How to Choose What to Write Next

     One of my favourite writer terms is 'plot bunnies', which it used to describe new ideas. I can just picture little bunnies poking their heads out of their burrows, and instantly commanding all your attention. It's the same thing with story ideas: once they get stuck in your head, its hard to shake them off and put effort back into your WIP.

     Another thing about plot bunnies is that there are too many to count. When you've finished a project, which one do you focus on next? How do you choose?

    There are two questions I ask myself to decide.



1) Which one excites me the most?

    Whenever a plot bunny pops into my mind, it seems like the best book idea ever at the time. It'll be a bestseller! I'll become famous! Twenty-four hours later...yeah, not so much. For me, time is a big factor in determining my excitement. I've developed a system that when a plot bunny comes, I focus all my thoughts and creative energy on it for a day or two, jotting down everything that comes to mind.

    Then I leave it.

    When I'm ready for my next project, I browse through where I store my story ideas, and read through them all. Usually I won't have touched them for a month or even six, so by refreshing my mind on the concepts, I will immediately latch onto one that I'm desperate to write.



2) Can I combine these ideas?

   Sometimes answering the first question will be hard, because I might be equally excited or intrigued about several. If that's the case, I'll see if there is a possibility to combine the ideas into one large novel. Some of the ideas might be small aspects like a world-building feature, while others could be a plot.

   Here's an example. You might remember me talking about Golden Revenge a few months ago (it's currently waiting to be edited). That story was a combination of many separate ideas or concepts I wanted to write about.


Refugees + civil war + gender-bent retelling of King Midas + mercenaries = Golden Revenge

   Some of the ideas worked more naturally together, but others seemed like there was no way they could co-exist at first. But when I challenged myself to craft a story out of this mishmash, I ended up with a story I loved all the way to its heart.

How do you deal with plot bunnies? Do you take time to consider which story to write next, or do you jump straight in? 
Good luck with your writing! <3

Comments

  1. These are some really great tips! This is something I struggle with (#shinynewideasyndrome), so thank you!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! Haha that's a great way to describe it. I think I have it too... XD Thank you so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of combining several different ideas! I'll have to try that when I'm ready to start a new project, because I have so many ideas I want to work on, it would be so hard to just choose one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I'm glad you like the idea; it's worked pretty well for me, and so hopefully it can work for you too! Choosing is always so hard. XD Thank you so much for commenting! :D

      Delete
  3. oh I get ideas ALL THE TIME.πŸ˜‚ It's wonderful!! Mine are sometimes plot bunnies, but often they have total potential to be a full-blown novel. So my rule, basically, is I have to plot out the entire thing and imagine every single scene before I write. So that stops me starting something and then losing interest. If I've plotted it out for 2 months, then I know it's good enough to write.😜 Oh oh and I love how you mash tons of ideas into one book! THAT IS BRILLIANCE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cait! :D Wow that's a lot of plotting! I should hope that after plotting for two months you're interested in writing it! XD That's great that you have your own method of narrowing down your choices though. Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts