Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Let's Talk Editing: Setting

    Editing is not exactly my best friend. I absolutely adore first drafting and the freedom that comes with it, which is probably why most of my stories seem to lose my attention at the end; I jump straight to the first draft of the next idea.

   I'm at the beginning of draft 4 of Draped in Deception, and can I just tell you, I'm terrified. 



   It's not only the sheer amount I'm rewriting (between half and a third of the book) but all the details I need to refine, and new scenes to incorporate. In today's post and upcoming ones I'm going to be chatting about what I'm currently focusing on in my edits.

   Today's topic is, (that's right, you guessed it from the title):

Setting

   Draped in Deception takes place in Laceria, the capital of an empire. Laceria nestles against a roaring river that flows into the bitter Eastern Sea, surrounded on all other sides by steep cliffs. The city is a mix of old and new with ancient ruins dotting it, and new coal lamps line the cobblestone roads. In the time frame of the story, dead winter has hit. Snowstorms, icy rain, sleet; all of it are plaguing my characters.

   But guess how many times the cold is mentioned?

   About four times in fifty chapters...not nearly enough.



   That's not to say that every chapter should be slathered in description of how frigid my MC's nose is, but setting plays a vital role in stories. There are so many opportunities to not only suggest what the weather is like, but to use it; incorporate it to your advantage.

   In Draped in Deception, there are a tons of fights out on the streets. What if my MC or the antagonists slip on an ice patch mid battle, giving their opposition the upper hand? What if the icy rain limits the characters' vision and they lose sight during a chase scene? 



You can also use setting to:

  • Set mood and tone
  • Reflect your characters' feelings
  • Show the characters' wealth/economic standing
  • Cause obstacles and conflict
  • And waayyy more that can fit on this list
   Honestly, there are so many possibilities with settings. So in this round of edits I'm going to be trying to use Laceria's setting to my full advantage, from its rich heritage to the troublesome weather.


Do you like to develop your setting or do you hope it will sneak in by itself? What's your favourite setting ever from a book? 
Good luck with your writing! <3

6 comments:

  1. Yessssss I looove setting! IT IS MY MOST FAVORITEST THING OF EVER. And I like what you said about showing the cold through actions and stuff, and using it to affect the plot.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah. :) Settings are so fun to create! Sometimes I have a setting before I have an actual plot. XD Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Laceria sounds really neat!! I'd visit if it wasn't winter. ;)
    For me, I usually write some small terrible amount of description in the first draft. Then as I edit from draft to draft it gets changed and shaped until it's not quite so small and terrible, ha.
    Jeneca @ Jeniqua Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeneca! :D Haha yeah I would recommend the summer tour of Laceria; it's slightly more pleasant. I tend to neglect putting my setting into the first draft despite having created a complex one. XD Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Laceria sounds awesome (and I love the name! It can be so hard to think of good place names for fantasy books)! :)
    I tend to develop my settings as I write, so that has definitely happened to me as well where I have gone back and read my writing and realised that I have said certain important things about the setting, and then virtually never mentioned it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! :D Yep that's something that I'm working on in my editing right now. I think I get carried away with the plot and forget where the story is taking place sometimes. XD Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting!

      Delete