Why You Should Roleplay

    Once upon a time I was a young, inexperienced writer who slammed keys enthusiastically and hoped somehow it would turn into a coherent story. Or sentence. (It depended on the day)

   Then I magically stumbled upon Goodreads and thought: "what is this glorious madness?" Not only did this site revolve around books, but it had an interactive writing community.

   Hence, roleplay took over my life.



   I joined about every roleplay group that interested me in the slightest--whether is was a spin-off of my favourite novel or not. I got to work straight away, and created a billion characters (even learning basic HTML code so I could make fancy profiles). Then I wandered in conversation with other people's characters for hours. And hours.

   I won't go over the fall of my Goodreads account* (I'm no longer active). But what I will go over is how, in the madness of my roleplaying, I improved as a writer, and why you should roleplay.

    *I joined so many roleplay groups it literally took over my life, and high school hit = no time for anything other than groaning about homework.



1) Forces you to create original characters

    When you're in as many roleplay groups as I was and need to create several characters for each one...you kind of run out of ideas. I didn't want to do the same kinds of characters each time, so it pushed me to expand more on their personalities instead of jotting down 'they're funny.' 

    Slowly, I began to create characters with deeper depths. I started to break away from a habit of creating one dimensional characters, and my stories have been better off for it ever since.

2) Spurs your creativity

    Not only could I create characters, but I could read about other writers' characters and create small stories with them. It was like one big free writing story prompt that I could explore, with no limits. I was free to explore how my characters would react in certain situations, and improve my dialogue writing. Needless to say, roleplaying gave me numerous plot bunnies.



3) Great interaction with a writing community

     Who doesn't love connecting with people with similar interests?

     I met some absolutely awesome people through roleplaying. Many roleplayers did it for fun and as a hobby, but others were more serious. I had my first conversation ever with someone else who wanted to write a novel, and do writing as a career. I knew she was around my age too, so I was a little inspired by her determination and the thought that: "I can do this too. You don't have to be 'old' to write a novel and want to be a writer."


Have you ever roleplayed or written fan fiction? Do you want to? (And would you be interested in me starting a goodreads account, but just for books? I need help deciding whether I should or not) <3

Comments

  1. I LOVE roleplaying! When I was in Gr8, I joined this LOTR club online(they were all my own age too) and we roleplayed all year much. Sadly the club broke up, but I have such good memories of exploring middle-earth with them. I've also written some fanfics....it's fun.
    ALSO YES YOU SHOULD TOTALLY GET A GOODREADS ACCOUNT FOR BOOKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh that sounds like so much fun! Sad that you broke up but at least you had a great time. I probably will get a goodreads account when I decide to stop being lazy and put in every single book I've ever read. Thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  2. Rping is so much fun! I used to do Dungeons and Dragons, and now I'm involved in a Les Miserables group :) I definitely agree - roleplaying has spawned many ideas for my stories!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really cool! I'm glad you love roleplaying as well. XD It's super good at giving me a million plot bunnies. Thanks for commenting Ellie! :D

      Delete
  3. I've never role-played, but have been known to imagine myself as a superhero or an elf, or other things. When I was younger, my siblings and I would act out complete movies. You should have seen our "Voyage of the Dawn Treader".
    And yes, you should totally get a new Goodreads accounts. It's not only great for readers but for writers, because you can find books similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm sure the movie was great. XD Ah yes I love to imagine myself as different people or things too. It's so much fun! That's a good point; not only can I grow my TBR list but I can also find books for writing research. Thank you for commenting, Rachel! <3

      Delete
  4. Hello! Yeah, I'm a bit late, but I would like to ask you more information about roleplay. I'm interested and I'm a member of Goodreads, that I have only used for books. How can I find someone interested in roleplaying their original characters with mine on Goodreads? I'm not even a native english speaker, but it seem that I cannot find a writing community in my country. Will they be patient with my mistakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enid! No worries I love comments at any time. 😃 I get the struggle of trying to find a writing community in my country too which is why I turned to goodreads. I would suggest searching the groups section of the site. There are lots of amazing role play groups there and if don't find one you like you can also make your own. I think if you explain you're not a native English speaker it'll be completely fine. (Your English seems wonderful to me anyway!) Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions and thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts