Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Beautiful People: Appearance Edition

    Welcome back to another Beautiful People! I'm really excited about this one, because I'll be sharing about a story I'm world-building/brainstorming right now called Safe-House

    (If you're curious about why I'm not doing Golden Revenge this month, it's because I finished the first draft and am now setting it aside for six weeks before revisions.)

    Beautiful People is hosted by the wonderful Cait @ Paper Fury and Skye @ Further Up and Further In. This link-up is designed to help you get to know your characters better, and never fails to help me!


    So, what is Safe-House about? 

    I'm so glad you asked.

    If you didn't catch the blurb from last week's post, here it is.

The Safe-House.

Criminals from all over the city seek shelter behind its walls when their lives are in danger. The Criminal Guilds' laws demand that no murder take place in the Safe-House, a rule that most follow grudgingly--or die. When weapons expert Mercy falls out with her Guild and takes a job at the Safe-House, she never expects to wake up to multiple murders.

Everyone is a suspect; the sassy cook quick with poison, the mysterious Hood who changes faces every day...even Mercy's own boyfriend.

In the Safe-House, safety is just an empty promise.


    But because that's a very short and proper blurb, the equation below (story math, not algebra; no need to panic) sums up some of its elements.


All criminal POVs + a lot of murder, stabbing, and chase scenes + sass + everyone's done so much shady stuff that anyone could be the killer + a person called Hood who is the master of disguise + Sob Story Saturdays + touches of romance + Criminal Guilds' wars + a vain but cat-loving girl who invents deadly weapons = Safe-House

     So this month's Beautiful People in on Mercy, who is the vain girl that invents deadly weapons in the above. She's one of the major POVs, and is a new staff member at the Safe-House. 

     To the questions!

1) Give an overview of their looks. (Include a picture if you want!)

      A super quick overview is she has dark brown eyes, dyed ash blonde hair that's brown at the roots, and plucked arching eyebrows. A picture of Mercy is after the next question. (Sadly I only have one because I can't figure out who the model is) 

2) Share a snippet that involves description of their appearance.

     This is a snippet from Hood's POV: 

     Mercy smoked on the steps, huffing out streams of white between painted lips. Rings clustered on her fingers in clumps of fake jewels and bulging metal spikes--a cross between fashion and death. Hood's fingers itched to draw her face; the strength of her jaw, the fading hair dye, the hardness fading from her eyes now that she thought she was alone.The hardness was instead filled with a swarm of memories drowning in pools of sorrow.

     Yes, Hood would draw her later. Maybe some of Mercy's haunted beauty could wipe the smear of ugliness lingering underneath the hood.

Not exactly like she is in the snippet below, but close
3) What is the first thing people might notice about them?

    Mercy's red lipstick. She will never go anywhere without it on.

4) What are their unique features? (Ex. freckles, big ears, birthmarks, scars, etc.)

    If she's wearing something strapless, the long slicing scar on her shoulder would be obvious, which she got from the daughter of the head of the Murderer's Guild. Tension simmered between them for several months due to clashing personalities, and it kind of boiled over into a fight with long knives and swords and bad language (as you do in this Guild). They both ended up with scars.


5) How tall are they? What is their build (Ex. stocky, slender, petite, etc.)

   Mercy isn't particularly muscular (she prefers the weapons she creates to do damage instead of her body). She's more slender, and slightly taller than normal.

6) What is their posture like? How do they usually carry themselves?

   She always sits up straight if people are around. Vanity is in her bones, so she carries herself proudly.

7) Your character has been seen on a "lazy day" (free from usual routine/expectations): what are they wearing and how do they look?

   Mercy would still wear her make-up, but slightly less. She'd also shrug off the tight fighting outfits she wears to work, and slip on a loose short skirt and flowy blouse. Even if no one's around she stills likes to be done up, just in case. 


8) Do they wear glasses, accessories, or jewelry on a regular basis? Do they have any articles of clothing or accessory that could be considered their trademark?

    A lootttt of jewelry lies in Mercy's jewelry boxes, and she sometimes forgets what she has, there's so much. She loves her rings which also work as spiked iron knuckles. That as well as a locket with a picture of her pet cat Topaz would be her trademark.

9) Have they ever been bullied or shamed because of their looks? Explain!

    Mercy is quite pretty (I think) so she was never picked on by girls her age, but she was in a relationship shortly before Safe-House takes place that was not healthy. One day her ex-boyfriend would call her beautiful; the next she'd be called ugly and fat. It would take me ages to explain how that relationship worked (or didn't), but basically he made her depend on him and manipulated her. A lot. She lost a ton of self-confidence, but she's trying to pull it back by talking up her beauty in her mind.


10) Are they happy with how they look? If they could change anything about their look, what would it be?

   She's happy when she looks her best, and any less she won't go out in public. So yes and no? If she could change anything, she'd smooth out the bump where her nose was broken in the past.


Do your characters have any trademark accessories? What do you think of Mercy? And if you've done Beautiful People, feel free to link in the comments so I can check them out! 

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like this! Mercy sounds like FABULOUS is her middle name. :D And knives and stabby things and epic dress sense? (Dressed to kill? hahahhaha Ahem. Excuse me I am a cliche today😂) SO SO COOL. Also I love the description of your book. xD I might've said that before but it needs repeating because so so awesome.

    Thanks for joining in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! <3 It's so nice to hear that someone likes my ideas. :D Haha yes Mercy is indeed fabulous. She's a fashionista who also knows how to take care of a blade. Definitely dressed to kill. Thanks for hosting, Cait! XD

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such an exciting character! FAM. HER AND HOOD, I SHIP ALREADY. They need a ship name.....Hercy? Mood? I'll keep thinking XD

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! I love Hood and Mercy (but sorry to disappoint, they never become anything except really good friends). We can always ship friendships though. XD Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Mercy sounds absolutely amazing! I love the description snippet you included, it was neat to see her through the eyes of another character. (And I LOVE your writing style!) And I like that her rings double as a weapon, haha.

    Oh yeah, and after reading the blurb, "Safe-House" really intrigues me! It sounds very unique and I like that the characters are all criminals. It's definitely a different kind of story!

    If you're interested, my BP is https://mmusingsblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/beautiful-people-20/ But either way, I'm glad I stopped by to check out yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maggie! <3 It's so lovely to hear that you like my writing and Mercy. Haha yes the rings are deadly fashion. XD I have a thing with writing about criminals because their depth of personalities and complex pasts intrigue me.
      I'd love to check out your BP! I'll do it as soon as I can. :D
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Criminals are so fun to read and write about! One of my favorite TV shows, White Collar, focuses on a "former" con man, and it was so great to watch his character develop over the course of the series. So I can't say I blame you for loving to write criminals ;)

      And thanks so much! I'll keep an eye out for your comment!

      Delete
    3. Yes, criminals are so great when they grow and develop as people. You've reminded me that I need to check out "White Collar"; I've heard a lot of good things about the show.
      No worries! Your BP was great! XD

      Delete
  4. Mercy seems so cool and badass! I love the sound of a group of criminals all living in the same house (that can surely only end well!) and you've described Mercy really well here (: My BP for August will be up soon, but if you want to check out my July post it's here (: http://bowlerhatgirl1.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/beautiful-people-july.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Libby! :) Haha yeah what could go wrong with a bunch of criminals trapped in one house together? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I will definitely check out your BP later! I'm sure it will be great. XD
      Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting!

      Delete