Writing Wednesdays: How to Fall Back in Love with Your WIP

     Writing is hard. Brutally hard. Somehow you have to get those stubborn characters who won't stop being sarcastic from your brain on paper without sounding like you slammed your head on the keyboard. You have to hack your way through 'The Plot of No Return'. Blinking cursors hypnotize you. You might decide to kill a couple of characters; they never listened to you anyway.

     It's often when I'm in the About-To-Slam-Keyboard Zone that I realize the reason I'm not enjoying any of it is because I've fallen out of love with my WIP (Work in Progress). 



Which direction do you go in?

     This is either because I've been stressing too much over it, or I'm in a writing slump.

     But I've recently found a way that has me falling in love again.

     The solution is simple: reading it.

     I'm a ridiculously sloooowwww writer compared to a lot of writers I know. One manuscript took me about seven to eight months to pump out just the first draft. If I'm writing over such a long period of time, I often forget what I've written.

     In my massive rewrite of Draped in Deception (blurb on My Writing page) I found myself hating it a little bit near the end. Working several hours a day non-stop for many weeks had me questioning everything about it.

     I left the manuscript for a few days, muttering to myself 'oh this is no good.' 'I don't want to write that right now.'

     Eventually, I told myself I needed to at least complete the rewrite, but I didn't have the energy to write. 

     So I went back, and read. And read.


Not that my manuscript looked anything like this...
but I aspire to one day read as fancily as this bear

     It was so fun. Not because I write comedy or anything, but because I was immersed in my world in a way different from writing. I was reading it. 

     Reading the scenes I already had reminded me of the little things characters did that I loved, that favourite action scene, and helped me see things from a reader's point of view.

     It also helped spark a key element to my novel's climax, and suddenly this excitement of this new idea had me pounding the keys again.

     So if you're struggling with your writing, try going back and see all your work. See how much effort you've put in, laugh at all those sarcastic characters, and ignore your editing side. Enjoy it as a reader. 

     And fall back in love with that WIP again. 


Do you ever get frustrated with your writing? How do you fall back in love with yours? Does reading help? Let me know in the comments; I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

Comments

Popular Posts