Saturday, 20 May 2017

Bookish Book Lover Tag

    It's not very often I talk about books on the blog, so today I decided to do a book tag Victoria @ Wanderer's Pen tagged me in awhile back. (Thanks for the tag Victoria!) I'm super excited to share with you all my current reads, and bookish loves!

   Here are the Bookish Book Lover Tag rules:

#1- Use the banner.
#2- Answer the questions.
#3- Use lots of book covers.
#4- Tag your bookish friends!



1) What book(s) are you currently reading?

   At present, I'm almost finished with Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven. I love the quick and simple style that the scenes are organised in, and seeing it done so successfully has given me some hope for my own similar style.



2) What the last book you finished?

   Technically, the last book I read was Magic Study by Maria V Snyder (absolutely amazing by the way), but I also finished re-reading the play Othello by Shakespeare last week, so that was my latest full read. (If you like intelligent villains, I highly recommend the play.)



3) Favourite book you read this year?

   Goodness, this is hard. I've had such a run of awesome books this year, but the best is a tie between Magic Study and Gemina.



4) What genre have you read most this year?

   Fantasy. No surprises there!

5) What genre have you read least this year?

   Contemporary, though I am reading one right now. It's nice to take a break from my fantasy pattern, but honestly, I don't think I'll make them top priority on my TBR.

6) What genre do you want to read more of?

   I'd love to see more re-tellings of obscure folk or fairy tales.

7) How many books have you read this year, and what's your goal?

   *sheepish smile* So, with the move and school and everything, I've only read about six books this year. I'm trying to read one book every two weeks now though, so the numbers should improve (unless I get a billion essays to write again).

8) What's the last book you bought?

    Holding Up the Universe, as I'll be going to a talk and signing by Jennifer Niven on Friday!

9) What book are you saving up to buy next?

    A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas.



10) How many books did you check out last library visit?

    I believe it was four. I couldn't fit any more in my bag!

11) What's a book you can't wait to read?

    I'm eagerly awaiting my opportunity to read Obsidio (which comes out in a couple of centuries, it seems).

12) What's a series you'd recommend to everyone?

    Probably the Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski. Sooooo good!



13) Who's an author you're hoping writes more?

    *points to last question's author*

14) A few books your heart adores?

    ALL OF THEM!!! (Okay, I don't adore all books, but the following are a few I love to love): Birthmarked by Caragh M O'Brien, Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas, Enna Burning by Shannon Hale, and Captives by Jill Williamson.



15) What series' coming conclusion makes you sad?

    I do but don't want the Throne of Glass series to end. So many mixed feelings!

16) What books are on your wish list?

    There are tons, but a few are: the Angel Eyes Trilogy by Shannon Dittemore, the Lost Girl of Astor Street by Stephanie Morrill, and the Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye.



    And now, I tag... *drumroll*


and anyone else who'd like to do it!

Thanks for reading today's post; I hope you enjoyed getting to know a little bit more about my reading life! What books does your heart adore? What's the last book you bought? Most read genre?
I'd love to read your answers in the comments! Have a wonderful day! <3

18 comments:

  1. Having too many awesome books to choose from for a favorite is a good problem to have lol. And I agree, I want more uncommon retellings! It's always the same few stories being retold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it's a wonderful problem to have! XD Very true, most of the time they're takes on the Disney versions of fairy-tales. I'd love to see retellings of the originals! Thanks so much for commenting Kristen! :)

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH. THE WINNER'S TRILOGY. OH MY. THAT TRILOGY BROKE ME IN THE BEST OF WAYS. THE ENDING JUST KILLED ME. KESTREL AND ARIN ARE MY BABIES.

    And I have read a lot of fantasy this year! I'm actually taking a break from the genre and immersing myself in contemporary :)

    AAAH HAVE FUN AT THE SIGNING! I actually drafted a post about book signing tips, but I'm planning to release it on June!!! (And I did meet Jennifer during May last year. She was the nicest!)

    - andrea at a surge of thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH I LOVE THE TRILOGY SO MUCH! KESTREL AND ARIN ARE SO PRECIOUS AND SO PERFECT TOGETHER! *hugs them to death*

      Nice! I take breaks from fantasy every now and then for variety, and to expand my reading horizons, and all that. What are you reading at the moment? :)

      Thank you! Haha shame I won't be able to see it in time! Yay, I'm really happy she's nice! I hope I get the same impression. XD Thanks so much for commenting Andrea! :D

      Delete
  3. I've wanted to read Holding Up the Universe for sO LONG. I'm glad you're enjoying it! And omg yes, Othello is SO GOOD.

    I agree with you that I'd like to see retellings of more than just the classic fairytales. How about retellings of historical events? How about retellings set in modern times or space? How about retellings that transcend genre - ex. a fantasy love story that becomes a Victorian mystery?

    I'm unsure about whether or not to read The Lost Girl of Astor Street, so I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

    I actually just went to Barnes and Nobles a couple days ago with a bunch of friends, and I ended up buying Note to Self by Connor Franta. I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it, but I do want to give it a shot.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished reading Holding Up the Universe last night, and it was awesome! Really sweet characters and ending. :) Othello is brilliant! I'm not a super big fan of the ending but Iago's intelligence makes it a fun read. XD

      Yes, all of those sound great! Much as I like the famous fairy-tales, a bit of variety and change of genre of setting could really spice them up!

      I'll be sure to let you know on my thoughts of the Lost Girl of Astor Street when I read it. :) Ooh I haven't heard of that book yet, but let me know what you think. Thank you for commenting Ellie! :D

      Delete
  4. Hey, another tag about books!!! This one is really in depth, which I like. The muse is working on it!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I look forward to seeing your answers. :) Thanks for commenting Catherine! XD

      Delete
  5. ooh this is so fun and great! (Would you mind if I pinched it too? :D) I sooo love the Winner's Curse series and I'm so glad you love it too! I'm DESPERATELY HOPING the author writes more omg.

    I think I just got out 10 books on my last library trip because I'm cramming in books at the moment hahah. *buries self* It's been quite a circus act getting them all read before due dates.

    Also *fLAILS FOREVER OVER GEMINA* That one is on my best-of-the-year list too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, Cait! Ahhhh I have so much love for the Winner's Curse! I WANT MORE BOOKS FROM HER.

      Haha I get you! Due dates are tricky things to manage. :) Don't bruise yourself too badly! GEMINA IS AMAZING. I have so much love for it. Thanks for commenting Cait! <3

      Delete
  6. Magic Study is such a fantastic book! I read it a while ago, and really loved it! Also, I haven't read Throne of Glass, but I keep hearing good things about it. I can't wait to check it out one day!

    Really enjoyed reading your list! Ah, the TBR just keeps getting longer and longer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! I love it. <3 I'd definitely check Throne of Glass out when you can. XD Haha sorry if I added to your TBR... Thanks for commenting Maggie!

      Delete
  7. I don't want Throne of Glass to end either. XD I just finished the third book and really enjoyed it!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Ahh I know! I kind of want it to end because I want to know how it ends but at the same time, I want more books! :D Thanks so much for commenting Victoria!

      Delete
  8. I'll definitely take some of these books as recommendations!

    Also - whoops, I didn't realise I'd been tagged! (I'm behind in reading everyone's posts, sorry.) :) This will be an awesome tag to do; thanks, Melissa! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Haha don't worry about it. You're very welcome! :) Thanks for commenting Jem!

      Delete
  9. I think I'm going to put a bunch of these on my TBR! I'm always looking for good recommendations :)

    Thanks for tagging me! This will be a fun one to do!

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! (Though a warning, many of them will break your heart, sorry!) XD You're welcome, I look forward to your post! :) Thanks so much for commenting Audrey! :D

      Delete