Saturday, 15 April 2017

Who Are They?

    She's the one with a thousand journals. Some are filled, words and ink and inspiration tumbling over and running into each other in creativity's chaos. Others, not so much. Their pages start off in small bursts, but then the words are smudged. Sentences half-finished, ideas abandoned.

    He's the one with a warehouse for a mind. There doesn't seem to be an end to its horizon. Thoughts are produced, packaged, and presented to him by the tens of thousands each day. Most are tucked into the back storerooms or thrown out with trash, unoriginal and unloved. But a few are kept in its blooming greenhouse and cultivated with time.

    She's the one whose fingers know the keyboard better than human flesh. Every letter's place, every hidden trick and short-cut, she knows them all. Auto-correct is her sworn nemesis, 'add to dictionary' her favourite friend. She spends hours pushing buttons painted with symbols as she weaves them into heartache and joy.

    He's the one who hides his dreams behind expectations. In the late nights he closes his door, shutting out one world and entering another. The blinding glow of a white screen is not a midnight movie, but rather a fear bound secret. His mouth says he'll go to university for one thing, yet his heart pleads for another.


    She's the girl who's never been good at anything except this. She binds herself to it, defines herself by its success, builds her identity on the title it brings. So when the hate from those she trusts comes in comments, in critiques, in crucifying her story, she crumbles. Hugs her knees to her chest and cries. Thinks she'll never be good enough.

    He's the boy who could be successful in anything, but happy in nothing. His reports ooze As and teacher's praise, and he's his parents' pride at dinner parties. But someday he's going to tell them what truly makes him feel alive, and their dreams will shatter like fine china.

    She's the girl who seeks what could have gone so wrong. As tears carve permanent grooves into her cheeks, she scours the online abyss for answers. 'Common writing mistakes' 'how to improve bad writing' and 'why am I so horrible at this' plague her search bar. Eyes devour every article as her head bobs, and she realizes where she took a wrong turn.

    He's the boy who fears mouthing the truth. He paces back and forth, wears an anxious road into the grey carpet. Cars hum to a stop in the driveway and sparkle with a wealth he wants, but doesn't need. His hand jerks open the door, breath catches in his throat, and his feet lead him to the living room.


    She's the girl who pushes back her chair, and smiles. Wipes away the tears. Folds up the hate and leaves it in a closed drawer. Cracks open the journals, pours through ink and stories and people that swept her away the first time, and allows herself to love them once more. Tries again. And again. And again, until she knows the tears mean next time it'll be better.

    He's the boy who faces those who he fears, and speaks. Their faces fall, but he keeps talking, letting his gut and heart spill out for them to embrace, or step on. He finishes. Then even as one fights showing utter disappointment, the other smiles and pulls him into a hug. It's new for them, raw for him. But he'll keep going, because he knows that with the secret out the only thing he can fear is himself.

    She, he, the one, the girl, the boy. Who are they?

    Writers.



Hello everyone! Thanks for joining me today with this unusual post. I had a thought in my mind last night, and when I started typing, it turned into this small two-sided story. It's not overly edited, I haven't spent hours examining every word, because I wanted to share my real thoughts and ideas with all of you. I hope you enjoyed it!

What are your thoughts on 'Who Are They?' Can you connect with any of the characters or their struggles? How is your writing going?
Let me know in the comments, and have a wonderful day! <3

14 comments:

  1. I can...so much

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm both happy and sad to hear that; happy because it means I wrote something honest, and sad because it means you had to go through similar things. I have as well in many ways. Remember that only YOU can write YOUR story, no one else. Thanks so much for commenting! :)

      Delete
  2. This is so true. I relate like so much. Thank you for writing this. :)
    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! :) I'm very happy you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  3. THIS IS BEAUTIFUL MELISSA! I love this post so so much and I have chills and yes this is it this is who we are <3

    Your posts just keep on getting better and better!

    - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you so much! That means so much. <3 <3 <3 I'm super glad you loved it and could relate to it. Thanks for commenting Andrea! :D

      Delete
  4. Found this via your post on GTW and I love it! The raw emotions are perfect. :D


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, thank you! I'm glad I was able to communicate the rawness well. :) Thanks for commenting Alexa! :D

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful post, Melissa! I'd consider it a flash fic. I can totally relate to the characters' struggles. ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! <3 Yes, that was the term I was looking for, haha! XD I ended up writing 'short piece' because I'd completely forgotten it. Thank you so much for commenting! :D

      Delete
  6. Oh wow. I can really relate to this. Thank you so much for writing and sharing this!
    I sorta kinda needed to see this as a reminder that not all writers write in the same way. So I shouldn't force them or nag them to do it in a certain way, not when it doesn't work for them. (that goes for other things besides writing too... >.<)
    jeniquablog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Jeneca! <3 I'm very glad that you can relate to it, but as I said to others, sad at the same time. It sucks that writing, like most things, can be so hard at times. I've been guilty of trying to push my method of writing onto others as well, but the different ways writers approach it make us all unique and just as special as each other. Thanks so much for commenting and good luck with your writing! :D

      Delete
  7. Wow, this was such a beautiful piece of writing! I thought the back and forth between the characters and their different struggles was really effective, and I could relate to them both in different ways :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura! I'm really glad that you didn't find switching between the two characters jarring (I feared it might be a little). Your comment's made me very happy. :) Thank you for commenting! <3

      Delete