Saturday, 22 April 2017

Am Currently... #8

    It's the holidays!!! For a few more days, that is... But despite my quickly dwindling free time, I feel like I've accomplished a whole ton over the last two and a half weeks. Between family outings like attending the Royal Easter Show (the baby animals were so gorgeous) and exploring Circular Quay, where the Harbour Bridge and Opera House are, I've crammed in plenty of other activities.

    Let's get to it!


    Sadly, I prioritised writing over the Easter Holidays, and so I am still reading the Shadow Queen by CJ Redwine, but have also started Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder. I'm super excited about the later as I loved the first book, Poison Study, and I'm hoping I'll love the sequel just as much. 

   This doesn't technically count as reading, but I bought the Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi, which is a super cool reference guide when you're unsure of how to convey a character's emotion. It lists physical signs of the emotion, internal sensations, and mental reactions, to name a few. I definitely recommend it if you're interested in writing!


   Wow, do I have a lot to put down here. Though I'm not participating in Camp Nano, I might as well have been due to the amount of writing I've gotten through. At present I've written nearly 20,000 words of the first draft of Splintered Crown, a YA fantasy about Crim, who has trained his whole life to become Heir to the throne, only to have his sister chosen over him. You can read a more detailed description of it here.

   In addition to that, I finished the first draft of my piece for Project Canvas (which is an amazing opportunities for teenage writers, by the way) and am looking forward to hearing feedback from the editing team on it. 

   And in addition to that, I cracked straight into second draft edits of Golden Revenge. I've been working on the novel for over a year now (yay!), and yesterday was especially ecstatic about it. Why? Because I finally got inspiration on how to change one of the POVs so it flowed with the rest of the story, and made sense in context to the world. After having a mental block about it for several weeks, it was great to break through!

   Here's a little snippet from one of the novel's POVs, Mida, who is a gender retelling of King Midas with the golden touch:

Mida wrapped her gloved hand around the lord’s elbow, letting him take a minute to realize that the only thing between him and death was a thin layer of magical leather. She kept the smile on her face. Maybe if she freaked him out enough, he would leave. Or die in a hole. 

Whatever came first.


    I am OBSESSED with listening to the new Beauty and the Beast soundtrack, particularly Evermore (so powerful and raw) and Main Title: Prologue. If you're thinking 'what on earth' to the last one, it's an instrumental song on the soundtrack that is both magical and special. Check it out. :)


    Pretty good. I'm excited to get into the editing of Golden Revenge this morning and hopefully rewrite/edit yet another chapter. It will be interesting to see whether that distracts me from my homework yet again today...


Let's chat about you! How is your writing progress going? Are you participating in Camp Nano? What's on your TBR and what's your favourite song at the moment?
Let me know in the comments, and have a fantastic day! <3

14 comments:

  1. Ooooh, you got the Emotion Thesaurus! I hear that's a really good resource!

    Congrats on having your novel going for one year! I've had a couple going for over a year now, and it's an amazing feeling.

    And you're doing Project Canvas too?!? What's your article going to be about? I'm doing one on theme and passion.

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great resource! :) Thank you! I always love realizing I've worked on projects for such a long time; it makes me super happy. Yes, I am doing Project Canvas! My article will be about characters and their culture. XD Your article sounds great! Thanks so much for commenting Audrey! :D

      Delete
  2. That's so great that you had a breakthrough!! WOOO!! I'm waiting for one of those myself. 😂 I'm up to planning a series finale and I hate finishing things omg so I'm totally stuck at the moment and basically crying into a teacup. Ah the writer's life. SO FUN. 😂 Also that thesaurus sounds amaaazing. Since I have the emotional range of a plate, I should really look into that!!

    I just finished two books yesterday (Defy the Stars and Wilful Machines) and they both had epic robot characters that I kind of fell in love with. I need to write a robot book someday.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for breakthroughs! Ahhh series finales are so tricky to write, but I hope you'll be able to smash through your wall soon! That is the writer's life, isn't it? XD I highly recommend the thesaurus as it's great for inspiring new ways to write emotions.

      I've been meaning to read Defy the Stars (I love the title so much) and if it has a robot character, it might be bumped up on my TBR. ;) Thank you so much for commenting Cait! <3

      Delete
  3. WHOA CONGRATS ON YOUR WRITING PROGRESS. I finally organized my writing life into an Itemized List, and my current #1 priority is finishing Draft 1 of my MG steampunk pirate novel. After that, I want to finish Draft 2 of book 1 in my sorcery series and do research for my Raphael + Michelangelo retelling. And I don't know if I've already said so, but - if you ever need beta readers, I'd be happy to help.

    I've been heavily into the All for the Game fandom lately, so my favorite songs are ones that remind me of those books: "Jungle" by X Ambassadors, "The Sharpest Lives" and "Na Na Na" by MCR, and "Mad Hatter" by Melanie Martinez. I just added The Poetic Underground: Reverie by Erin Hanson and City of Saints and Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson to my TBR. Lovely post, as always!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! That's a great idea, listing which WIPs are your top priorities. I might have to try that some time. XD Aw thank you, I will totally keep you in mind for beta-readers, which I may need sometime this year! :)

      Ooh those are good songs! I enjoy X Ambassadors. :D Hmm I haven't heard of those books but I'll have to check them out; their titles sound interesting. Thanks so much for commenting Ellie! <3

      Delete
  4. Ah, I'm dying to start that Poison Study series, it looks so good! And congrats on all the writing, your books sound amazing. I've also been writing a lot recently, but I'm not participating in Camp NaNo this time either. I love that snippet of yours, too!

    New GFC follower :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series! Aww thank you, I'm so glad you liked my stories and the snippet! That's awesome that you've gotten so much writing done; it makes me feel amazing when I write a lot. Does the same happen to you?

      Yay, thank you for joining me on my blog! Thanks so much for following and commenting Amy! :D

      Delete
  5. YUSSSSS! SOMEONE ELSE WHO IS OBSESSING OVER EVERMORE! I've listened to that song every day for over a month! I love the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack so much. XD Congrats on so much writing progress! :D *claps*

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS EVERMORE IS SO GOOD! It's pretty much been the same with me, except some days I've listened to it more than once. XD Thanks, I hope to get even more done today! Thanks for commenting Victoria! <3

      Delete
  6. Well as long as you're either reading or writing, whichever it is, I say it's a win! And that's awesome you're getting so much writing done. But aww, poor Crim! And ooh, a King Midas retelling? That's so unique, I haven't seen any retellings for that! I want to read it :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, very true! I should look at it like that. :) Yes poor Crim. :( I swear I am extremely cruel to my characters but it's necessary for story purposes, of course. XD Yay, thank you! I'm glad you like the sound of Golden Revenge; it is partially a retelling of King Midas. I say 'partially' because Mida (the female and younger version of King Midas) is one of four main characters in the book. :D Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting Kristen!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on all the writing! I love the sound of the premise for Splintered Crown! I'm glad you've made so much progress with it.
    And that emotional thesaurus sounds useful! I may have to check that out myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I'm so glad you like the premise for Splintered Crown! It was pretty tricky to simplify the story so much, but I'm happy with how my one sentence summary turned out. XD Yes, it's a great resource! Thank you so much for commenting! :)

      Delete