Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Old Story Ideas - Yay or Nay?

     Old story ideas can be worth one of two things in my experience: gold or a "what was I even thinking?" mutter. So today I'll be sharing some of my oldest ideas, tucked away in the back of dusty notebooks and folders, waiting to see the light again. In other words, hidden in my drawer. Once I've shared them I'll decide: Yay! or Nay?

     Yay! means I'd consider writing it, or write a slightly altered version of it. Nay means no thanks, it's not worth my time.

     To the ideas!


From a little red notebook beside my bed...

1) There are two choices in the world: play...or be played. -- There's some promise to the statement, but it's kind of vague, so it could be interpreted as in either the romance or dystopian genre, or anything really. So, nay, because it's more like a statement than an idea.

2) A literal place called the Tear Mines where they make people cry and sell tears as a salty additive. -- O__O Okay then. For a fantasy novel this could be a super cool addition, if a bit of a gory one. What do they do to make people cry? Who are those who cry? Who's 'they'? Definitely a Yay! for this one.

3) Now her coffin's in the ground, and the fairies don't come anymore. -- I remember this one! It was supposed to be a poem, actually, about a grandmother who taught her granddaughter that fairies were real, and then the grandmother dies and...it wasn't a very happy premise. But it could be an interesting short story idea so yay!


From an older notebook that used to lie beside my bed...

1) Butter Apples -- I don't know what I was thinking here. Apples made of apples? Butter shaped like apples? What is the premise here??? So, nay.

2) RAZOR BLADE FANS -- I must have been very passionate about this one because I actually wrote it in all caps. I believe this had something to do with fancy balls and silk gowns and fans made of razor blades that were used as weapons? Hey, sounds like a fun time. Yay!

3) "Sometimes I think she married me not for children, but for a debate partner." -- This sounds like an adult voice to me, and I don't think I would base a plot off this quote, so this is a nay for me.


From a more recent journal from which Golden Revenge was also born...

1) She gave birth to death. -- Intriguing, confusing, and somewhat dark. It would be interesting to explore the concept; perhaps a story of the mother of a murderer or villain? Yay!

2) What if people had a limit to how much love they could give? Like they had a thermometer type thing on their chest that only they can see, and whenever they show affection/love it goes down. -- This is similar to the premises of a few short stories I've written, so I could make it work as a dystopian short story. Am I super passionate about it at the moment though? Not really: nay.


From my binder full of sticky notes stuck to pages to keep them in one place...

1) "What are you waiting for?" He asked.
I crossed my arms at the sunset, staring at the sea. "Hope." -- I LOVE THIS. There are so many takes I can have on it, yet the dialogue gives me insight on their personalities and relationship.Why is she staring at the sea? Hope for what? There are tons of opportunities here. Yay!

2) A world where everyone has a biological twin. -- Family dynamics would be different and there are a lot of 'why' questions to be asked, but I'm not jumping up and down to write this. Nay.

3) Mulan Retelling -- Wow, that is so specific (not), but it sounds cool. Yay! It would need a lot more thought, but I'd be open to writing one.

4) The flesh is powerful, yes. But the seeds...ah they are something else entirely. -- Just to clarify, it doesn't mean human flesh, but rather of the fruit. I'm pretty sure this was an idea of a story loosely based around the Forbidden Fruit and the Garden of Eden. I'd be up to exploring this, totally: yay!

5) Night Blisters: In a world where there is a toxic waste in the air that the sun kills. Those who walk out in the night get these horrible blisters. -- Again, I'm getting a dystopian feel, but the idea could work really well in setting boundaries in a world and limiting character activity. Yay!



So that brings us to the end of my old story ideas; which one was your favourite? What are some of your old story ideas that made cringe or laugh? Any that inspire you?

Let me know in the comments below and have a wonderful day! 

18 comments:

  1. I confess, I laughed out loud at Butter Apples XD I love the Tear Mines idea, and I'm also honestly a fan of the debate partner quote. XD

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have snorted when I found it too. XD Thanks! I like the quote itself, but as for writing a story around it, I'm not as keen. You can have the quote if you'd like! ;) Thanks so much for commenting Ellie! :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a cool post! And it's great that you wrote down the premise of the stories, rather than half of the first chapter... *glares at old notebooks* xD

    My favorite one was the "Hope" one. It's sooo beautiful.

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Audrey! <3 Oh, I absolutely sympathize with that; I have plenty of those typed up! Thanks so much for commenting! :D

      Delete
  3. Ooooh NIGHT BLISTERS O.oooo As a passionate world builder, I think that one is my favorite. It sounds really spooky to me and reminds me of The City of Ember. The one about the coffin and faries is really beautiful and sad too. *weeps softly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! :D I love The City of Ember! You're right; it does sound kind of similar, but hopefully I can use it in a future story. Yesss to world-building! <3 Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I agree with your assessment of Yays and Nays! It's funny how old ideas can make you think "wtf" or inspire something completely new! Every now and then I dig around in my old idea buckets of randomness and get some completely new ideas. I rarely actually explicitly revisit said ideas, but sometimes I synthesise them into something else I'm working on. Like, there was one I started writing in middle school (and got through what is now basically chapter 1, even though it was something like 50+ pages then), and just recently I started writing something completely unrelated, but then I realized that THAT character(s) and opening really WORKED for this story. So I absorbed it, lol. I've had SO many "new" ideas come from things like that!

    Out of your list above, I'm most intrigued by the Tear Mines and the Mulan retelling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! That's the main reason I cherish old notebooks and journals so much; they really can spark new and fresh ideas or help solve plot holes. That's awesome that you were able to incorporate part of your old story into your new one! :) Thank you so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  5. Whoa this is really interesting! I liked many of your old ideas. Thank you for sharing them! #3 from the first category and #2 from the second were my favorites.

    I don't really think much of my old writing. I see them as stepping stones, but ultimately too cringey for me to rewrite!

    - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! I'm glad you liked them! Don't worry, I excluded plenty of cringey old ideas from this post as well. For some of them I couldn't even understand what I wrote! Thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  6. I love looking through notebooks of my old ideas - there's definitely always a lot (well, most of them!) that give me that 'what was I thinking!' feeling, but there's always a couple I end up wanting to explore further :)
    Personally I'm really intrigued by the Tear Mine idea, and I actually really liked the whole love limit idea, even though you gave it a nay! :)
    Plus I really want to know more about these mysterious butter apples! Awesome post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I'm glad you liked them! That's the beauty of old ideas; they can be horrible or brilliant. :) Haha yeah those butter apples are indeed very mysterious. Perhaps some day I'll work out their meaning. XD Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  7. I really like the tear mines idea. That sounds awesome and freaky. XD Like maybe the tears can act like a drug. 3:) I've got so many random ideas laying around like I got a picture of a bloody earbud in my head while I was on a plane. I want to use it somewhere. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria! Yes it does sound quite scary, doesn't it? Oooh that's a good idea. Wow your idea is both frightening and intriguing! You should totally use it somewhere! :D Thanks so much for commenting! XD

      Delete
  8. These look like such good ideas! I keep mine organized in a file on my computer, where I have synopses and stuff for them. I'm a very organized person XD
    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that you're so organised; I wish I could be! :D Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting! XD

      Delete
  9. This was so awesome! I LOVE YOUR IDEAS. The Night Blisters one and the Selling Tears one are just A++ and I would read those.😂 I have a sticky-note wall of story ideas and most of them I came up with about 2 years ago? I don't really feel enthused for them anymore, mostly because I have at least 10 books FULLY OUTLINED (sobbing) on my laptop and I'm just trying to get time to write them!! I don't have vague ideas anymore. I generally have like FULL books. But the other day I found a notebook with a few lines scribbled and realised it was like the pre-idea for a book I did write. But it was a murder mystery.😂😂 I don't even remember originally thinking it'd be about murder! It turned out to be a Cinderella retelling + pianos and stuff hahaa. Ohhhh, the writer's brain....SUCH A FUN PLACE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Cait! <3 Yay for sticky notes! I've done a similar thing in gluing them to pages in a big binder as I'm too scared of putting them on the wall. XD But yours sounds so cool! Haha a Cinderella retelling is amazing, even if it was supposed to be a murder mystery! :) Thank you for commenting!

      Delete