Take a Breath

   Take a breath.

   What do you smell? Is it the gritty burning of petrol, the tickle of too much perfume, or the zing of raindrops bejeweling leaves? 

   Take another breath. A deep one. 

   Does this breath come easy as your lungs swell, or does it falter in your throat, caught between a whirlwind of emotions thundering through your thoughts? 

    I know mine is the latter. For the past three days I've been at a Youth Retreat; talking, singing, learning, connecting, growing. It's hard to explain what it feels like to feel so connected with both people, and God. For this time I had only about two minutes total to access the internet, and even then I just glimpsed at my e-mails. 


   I've grown. I'm still figuring out how, exactly, but I know the change, even if slight, is budding inside me. I shared personal information I never thought I would with people I've known for years, and those I'm just beginning to. 

   I feel like I've taken a deep breath, and caught the whiff of renewal on the wind. Life was and is crazy, hectic, wild. It tossed me around like roaring waves, but for three days, I paused. Took a breath. 


   I let the social media, the Youtube, the instantaneous need to turn on my device at any blip of silence fade away. There is nothing wrong with technology, nor is there with finding enjoyment in it. But sometimes you just need a few hours, a few days, to pause.

   In this pause, think. Be with those you love. Be with yourself. Be with God. 

   Yes, the world will come rushing back in, pulling you in different directions with constant 'nows' and deadlines. But cling to that memory of that breath, that pause, and the peace and understanding that came with it.

   Remember, you can always take another one.

Comments

  1. Ahhhh this post is so beautiful. Taking a moment and being still - that is just sooooo important. I'm so glad you did that, and happy for you!

    Thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! <3 My experience really nailed the importance of being still, and I'm so glad it did. Thanks so much for reading and commenting! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts