Beautiful Books: Safe-House

   This month I'm joining in on the link-up Beautiful Books! It's hosted by the wonderful Cait @ Paper Fury and Skye @ Further Up and Further In, and the ten questions are all about sharing your WIP.

   I'll be answering the questions about Safe-House, so let's get to them!




1) What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?

    Safe-House evolved from a more futuristic version of itself revolving around a video game, where criminal characters were trapped inside. But I didn't feel very passionate about this idea, and so it changed into a fantasy setting and grew from that. I've had the idea for around...a year I suppose, if you count the first version.

2) Describe what your novel is about!

   Basically, it's about a group of criminals who take refuge in a place called the Safe-House. It functions as neutral territory amidst the Criminal Guild Wars, so any criminal can hide behind its walls if their lives are in danger. It is a law among all Criminal Guilds that no murder take place there, or the murderer and their family will be killed.

   Mercy, who has fallen out with her guild, the Murderer's Guild, gets a job at the Safe-House. She is charged with protecting the Safe-House's guests, but after her arrival, one of them is found with their throat slit in their room. Slowly the guests start dying. They're surrounded by certain death: step outside the Safe-House's gates and be killed by their enemies, or wait for their death inside.



3) What's your book's aesthetic? 

  Dark          Moody     Splashed with dripping red     Burning tattoos

      Molten trust      Shadowy        Black, white, and grey hearts 

4) Introduce us to each of your characters!

    These are the main characters (the POVs):

Mercy -- fashionable "receptionist" who's a weapons expert

Clyde -- smirking poisoner with a fondness for baking

Ash -- optimistic thief who needs to understand the meaning of 'impossible'

Hood -- shapeless, nameless, faceless



5) How do you prepare to write?

   I do a few character interviews, a lot of world-building, draw a couple maps, sketch a basic plot, and then dive in!

6) What are you most looking forward to about this novel?

   Since it's a mix of the fantasy and mystery genres, I'm really excited to see how the plot turns out. I only know a few scenes that will happen when I start writing, and it's so cool to see the story growing before my very eyes.

7) List 3 things about your novel's setting.

   Most of the book takes place in the Safe-House, as it's really too dangerous to leave. #1 The Safe-House can hold up to twenty guests at a time, and so they have expansive rooms, including a small arena for practice, and a games room. #2 Practically everything has a nickname. The secret hallway to the kitchen = "snack liberation passageway." #3 The vegetable patch outside is rumoured to grow more poison than vegetables.



8) What's your character's goal and who (or what) stands in their way?

   Mercy's goal (the story goal, not internal goal) is to figure out who the murderer in the Safe-House is and then, well, get rid of them. Secrets, darkness, and the murderer's cautious intelligence keeps her from achieving this.

9) How does the protagonist change by the end of the novel?

  It's probably a bad thing I don't know exactly (it usually comes to me half-way through the first draft). I suppose Mercy's going to learn to put her past behind her.



10) What are your book's themes? How do you want your readers to feel when the story is over?

   Themes (at present) are: is there such a thing as right or wrong, or is everything grey; love, friendship, and acceptance. I want my readers to feel a little breathless and surprised at the end when the killer is revealed.


What WIP are you working on right now? What's it about? How do you prepare to write? 
Let me know in the comments; I love hearing from you! <3

Comments

  1. I love this idea! Best of luck with writing it <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ellie! Best of luck with your writing too! <3

      Delete
  2. THIS SOUNDS SO COOL, BRO. i can't wait to hear more about it <3

    evelyn clickman @ if these stars shall fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evelyn! :D I hope to share more about it in the future. XD

      Delete
  3. O.O

    Me likey. This sounds like one of those books that I wouldn't want to read at night, but would get caught reading till five A. M. because I just can't help myself.

    I WILL BE CHEERING YOU ON! <3 YOU GOT THIS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! <3 Haha yeah I think I'll scare myself while writing this. But that will be a good sign, right? Thank you so much for commenting! :D

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me think of extreme Clue where anyone could be a killer, but everyone is a criminal! I love it.

    Elisabeth @ Inkspelled Faery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elisabeth! You've petty much nailed the basic concept. XD Probably one of the scariest thing about my characters is literally any of them could be guilty and none of the other guests would be surprised. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alyssa! I'm glad you like the idea of Safe-House. :D

      Delete
  7. Safe House so awesome it's not even funny. It also reminds me a bit of the board game Clue. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! <3 That means a lot to me. Yep it's kind of similar to Clue with a lot more criminals and sass in book format. XD Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Oh man, Melissa this sounds so stinking cool. O_O I can't wait to see where it goes!!
    The idea of a safe-house is so interesting and it reminds me of something in the Old Testament. I just googled it and it's Numbers 35:15 ( I think. ) Israel was instructed to set up cities of refuge so that if you murdered someone by accident you could escape their famile's eminent revenge by fleeing to that city.
    But if you left the city? Your blood was on your own head.

    Jeneca @ Jeniqua Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jeneca! That means heaps. :D Oooh I didn't know about that (but it does tug a string at the very back of my memory...so maybe that was partially what inspired this book idea?) Thank you for telling me about that; it's awesome! Thanks so much for commenting! :)

      Delete
  9. Oh GOSH this sounds super cool! Spooky and thrilling and exciting. I bet you'll have a blast writing it. :)

    Here's my novel introduction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! I hope I'll enjoy writing it too. XD I'll be sure to check your novel introduction out, and thanks so much for commenting! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts