Saturday, 22 October 2016

Am Currently... #4

    Wow. Everyone, my life is about to get crazy. Correction: my life is crazy. The last week has been an onslaught of emotions both good and bad. I've had really low points one day, and one of the highest I've ever experienced the next.

   That's not even including the approaching NaNoWriMo, but more about that later.



   I'd like to apologize in advance if posts are late over the next week. I'll be attending a slew of conferences and retreats back to back, and it's uncertain how good the internet is going to be. Because of this the blog and my twitter might be a bit quiet.

  Anyway, to the am currentlys!


   I'm so glad my English teacher decided that we would be reading 'Pride and Prejudice'! For years I've tried to avoid the temptation to pick up a copy and read it myself, simply so I could experience it with my class for the first time. (I did watch one of the movie adaptations though. I'm not that good at avoiding temptation)

   Hopefully I'll be able to read 'Empire of Storms' soon, but we will see if it's arrived in my local bookstore yet. I'm hoping for a gorgeous hardback to match the rest of my set.



   So...I'm not sure how to announce this part?

   I'm a semi-finalist in the GoTeenWriters #WeWriteBooks contest! How did that even happen??? I was far from expecting it, as I know what an amazing community of writers it is. I kind of cried. From happy tears, you know. It was such a confidence boost for me, and the story I entered, Golden Revenge. The feedback was wonderful and so helpful as well. I just...feel so overwhelmed. And grateful. (Congrats to everyone who entered too!)

   Editing for Draped in Deception has slowed due to NaNoWriMo prep and a ridiculous amount of schoolwork which took away any spare editing time. I really need to focus on fleshing out my characters for my NaNo novel Safe-House because...guess what? I don't plan my books.

   Sorry/not sorry. I mean, I like a general idea of where I'm going and have a few scenes in mind, but honestly, I leave it up to the characters. They have almost total control over my first drafts.



   Sabrina Carpenter's new album 'Evolution'. It's so good! I have been listening to all her songs and just loving them. My favourites so far are 'Feels Like Loneliness' with its catchy beat, and 'Shadows' for its heart-felt lyrics. 



   Tired. This week was the last one before my October school break, and like I said in the beginning, everything has been accumulating into craziness. Tests, projects, personal drama, relationship problems, amazing writing feedback, late nights studying... I feel exhausted just writing that. And then there are more long-term problems like my family's move soon to an entirely different continent and culture.

   Sometimes I want to be like Sleeping Beauty and sleep for a hundred years without having to worry about these problems, but sadly, I don't live in a fairytale.


Let's talk about you! How are you? How is your writing going, and have you read any showstopping books recently I must pick up? Any new favourite songs or albums?
Let me know in the comments; I always love hearing from you! <3

6 comments:

  1. Yay for Pride and Prejudice. It's such a good book... well, anything by Jane Austen is really good and I know there are many people who don't like her books but I just fell for her. :D
    OMG congrats on the contest, that's SO COOL! I can't even imagine how happy you must've felt and what a confident booster it's for you. I'm so happy for you. :) Also, I admire you for not planning your books before writing them, I'm a massive planner when it comes to writing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simona! It was a simply amazing confidence booster. It is a very good book. I really like Jane Austen's style too: I'll have to pick up more of her novels. Haha I wish I was a planner but sadly it doesn't work that way for me. It does mean I have to do more intensive edits though. Thanks so much for commenting! :D

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on being a semi finalist in the contest!!! That's amazing! I'm so pleased for you :)
    I hope you have a good week, however busy! (And I really hope you enjoy Pride and Prejudice - that's one of my favourites!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I hope I have a good week too. It seems like it will fine (if a little crazy) from what I've seen today. I think Pride and Prejudice might soon become one of my favourites too, as I'm really loving the plot and the characters. Thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete
  3. OH OH CONGRATS ON BEING A SEMI-FINALIST!!! Do they critique your whole book?! I think that's amazing and squeeee all the cake for you! :D 🎉🍰 And haha, yes, I'm always finding new songs to be obsessed with but last night my sister and I tried to swap music. Apparently our tastes are so different WE WERE HORRIFIED AT EACH OTHER. 😂 Ah, sisters.
    Oh and best of luck with your non-planning for NaNo!! I plan like nothing else eek, but that saying I REALLY need to work on my characters. Because I spent far too long finding photos of them on pinterest and zero time actually filling in their personality sheets hahaha. So much fail.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cait! No, it's not the whole book but it is the first 3 thousand words and a synopsis so they can understand how the whole book plays out. XD Haha I do have quite different tastes in music than my sister; sometimes we'll both love a song but then really hate another the other likes! Pinterest is a big distraction, isn't it? :) Personally I don't tend to use personality sheets because for some reason they don't work for me, but that's really cool if they do for you! Thanks so much for commenting! :D

      Delete