Dreams and Doubts

    Pursuing dreams is a difficult thing.

    A dream of mine is to one day share my stories with the world. When or how it will happen, I'm not sure, but it's something I've been working towards for years. Stories are my passion. They thrill me, make me cry, fill my veins with joy, and beat in time to my heart.

   But every dream has roadblocks.


   As anyone gets older, there's one question that seems to pop from everyone's lips: 

What are you going to do when you grow up?

    Near the beginning of my writing journey, when I knew for certain writing and books needed to be a part of my life, I was shy about telling people I wanted to be a writer. I would dance around the question.

   Eventually I told people the truth.

   I'm going to be a writer.

   Some people accepted this with a big smile, a nod, and kindly asked about my writing. A few of these people were writers themselves, and I thrived on their support.

   Others weren't convinced. I could see from their strained smiles and hesitant 'mmm'ing that they weren't convinced I could be one, or that it could be a career. They'd quickly change the subject.

   It hurt.

   I knew that if I told the latter group of people I wanted to be a doctor, or teacher, or lawyer they would light up and tell me what a noble goal that is. Don't get me wrong, I respect people that take the more traditional career path a lot. Their work is super important.


   But so are the arts. So is writing, and painting, and drawing, and music, and acting. Dreams to make these passions careers are not temporary things that shouldn't be pursued.

   Because, honestly, I can't see a future for myself without writing.

   I know there are going to be more roadblocks; I've hit dozens more than this one. That's part of the journey. If you've hit something like this--people who don't believe in you and your dream--know that I believe in you.

   You will achieve your dream, no matter what they think.

What is your dream? What roadblocks have you encountered on the path to it? Have people ever doubted your passions too? 

Comments

  1. It is sad when people dismiss the "writer as a career" as just a silly idea. GAH. SO ANNOYING!! There are many successful writers, who might not even be massively big name authors, but still do make a living off writing. And I think that's encouraging! But it is nice to have family/friends support your dream for sure. *nods*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying, not to mention disheartening. You're right; so many people are making a living out of writing. It seems like most people either think writers are millionaires or it's not worth pursuing at all. Thankfully I have very supportive family and friends that believe in me. They help me disregard the doubters. :) Thank you for commenting Cait! XD

      Delete
  2. My dream has always been to be a writer, but I want to do other things as well. My family has always been very supportive of my creative instincts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High-fives for dreams about writing! That's lovely that your family have supported you for so long. It certainly helps motivate you to strive for your goal! Thanks so much for commenting Rachel! XD

      Delete
  3. I have a dream of being a writer, among a million other dreams.
    I suppose a roadblock I have (if this even counts as a roadblock) is that everyone I know in real life knows me for for other things I do-- I have a sewing buisness on Etsy, and I've done a lot of photography and drawing. So when I do mention I'm writing a book or pursuing publishing a series, I feel silly... even if I've spent hours and hours on it. Blergh.
    But I so agree with your post. Thank you for this!
    Jeneca @ Jeniqua Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand what you mean. I was always nervous to initially share that I wanted to be a writer because of all the other projects I had at the time, like drawing. Don't feel silly; if you love writing other people can tell.:)
      Thank you so much for commenting, Jeneca! XD

      Delete
  4. To be a writer and share my stories and thoughts with people is my dream too, and unfortunately I've encountered this a lot as well. I am aware that it won't be easy, but the amount of people who essentially tell you to give up because you'll never achieve it is really shocking! Personally though I don't think a goal is a goal if it's easily achieved, so I just keep going and keep trying :)
    Best of luck with your writing! Just from reading your blog I can tell that you are a fantastic writer, so I know you'll achieve your dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laura. <3 That means a lot to me. I hope I'll achieve my dream, and you'll achieve yours too. :) You're completely right; no dream should ever be easy. As long as we keep pushing, keep trying at it someday we'll get there. Best luck with your writing too, and thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Aw that last sentence is super encouraging. Thanks.
    Definitely, writing is seen as such a brainless choice for a career - at least that's the way everyone around me reacted when I let it slip that I might want to write for a living. Nevertheless, it is a passion and I don't believe conforming will give you a happy life. I believe in finding creative ways to do what you love. Going out there, sharing your soul is as as courageous as any other career, maybe even more. People should definitely view writing in a better light!

    Skylar | Skywriting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so gad it encouraged you Skylar. :) Writing is far from a brainless career; it's sad that people don't realize that. You're so right, we writers have to be super brave to share part of ourselves with the world. Never give up on your dream! Thanks so much for commenting! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts