Lessons Learned from 'Rebel of the Sands'

    After many of you mentioned how you'd loved Rebel of the Sands or heard great things about the book when I shared my current TBR, I decided to dive into it. I considered giving it a book review, but honestly, everything would have come out like: I LOVE THIS BOOK. SO. DARN. MUCH.

   So here are a couple writing and general life lessons I picked up from reading this super amazing novel.


1) Setting has a major impact on plot

     I knew this beforehand, but I'd never noted the setting in a book play such a huge part in pushing forward the plot, along with the world-building. Rebel of the Sands is a mostly desert world with Middle Eastern touches and guns. A lot of guns. All the aspects of the desert (without giving any spoilers) made certain elements of the plot happen, or revealed truths about characters. 


2) Sass is always the appropriate response

     Amani (main character) is so sassy, along with pretty much everyone else, that I found myself smiling throughout all the dialogue. I can be quite sassy when I want to, so it was nice to have a heroine with my sense of humour. This book also gave me a lot of new sassy punchlines to use. 

3) Foreshadowing can be in EVERYTHING

     What I thought was just some thrown in folklore to add to the already incredible world-building gradually layered with bits and pieces of dialogue. The foreshadowing was subtle and slipped into everything, so when the plot twist was dropped, I had an "OH" moment where it all clicked together. 


4) YA doesn't have to be 500 pages long

     I feel like 90% of fantasy YA novels I read now are so thick they barely fit into my handbag (I am guilty of writing long novels too). Rebel of the Sands is thin in comparison, but it packed a solid punch to the feels, and managed to add just enough at the end to hook me for the next book.


    Have you read Rebel of the Sands? Are you sassy person, sarcastic, or both? Also, feel free to drop book recommendations below! I love hearing about more awesome books! 

Comments

  1. I 100% agree with you! I've read Rebel of the Sands and the surrounding was magical and really important. Also the foreshadowing was really good. I would recommend the Forbidden Wish which is kind of like a re-telling of Aladin and it was also really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magical setting was one of my favourite parts of the book. Yeah, the foreshadowing blew my mind a little bit. XD I'll have to check out the Forbidden Wish now; thank you for the recommendation. Thanks so much for commenting, Simona! :D

      Delete
  2. I've not read Rebel of the Sands, but this is really making me want to!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give it a try! I really loved it, and gobbled it up faster than I read most books. Thanks for commenting, Ellie! :D

      Delete
  3. Can you believe I haven't read this one yet?! But sass is DEFINITELY one of my favorite things in books. Sassy characters almost always end up being my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a while to get around reading this one too, but I would recommend it super highly. Sass is amazing, and yes, sassy characters are often my faves. Thanks for dropping by, Erin! XD

      Delete
  4. I love a good setting that adds so much to a story, and I also agree about the length of fantasy stories. So many are doorstoppers but I wouldn't mind reading shorter ones- especially if they're in a series. I love a chunkster but I think sometimes they're drawn out too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when settings really enrich a story too. A long fantasy can be great, but sometimes it's nice to have a snappy read that isn't any longer than it needs to be. Thanks for commenting, Greg! :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts