Saturday, 9 July 2016

The Blood Stained Search Bar Tag

     I'm sure I'm not the only writer who is afraid that someone will dig through my search history and give me a very questioning look. I swear I'm not plotting murder; it's writing research. A lot of people die in fiction.

     My searches can end in a lot of characters in pain. So on a whim I've decided to start my own tag! The Blood Stained Search Bar Tag (quite a mouthful, I know) is designed to help you share what you're currently researching, and to have fun!


Here's a few quick rules:

1) Dig deep into your computer history and list five of your most recent and interesting searches for writing research; how to murder someone, is the sky blue, anything! And if you please, share a little about what you learned from these searches.

2) Thank and link to whoever tagged you. Also if I didn't tag you, if you could link to the creator (me), that would be awesome. 

3) Tag at least three other bloggers!

4) Have fun ;)

     These are five of my recent searches:

Physical damage from flogging - I'm not the kind of person to cuddle my characters. Apparently the damage is determined by the kind of whip. If the person whipping knows what they are doing, sometimes the whip won't break the skin. But if they're mean...ouch.

Ancient military punishments - This search brought up some gory stuff. The Romans had this punishment where every tenth soldier was beaten to death to by the other nine soldiers that weren't chosen. (Don't worry, I decided not to use this in my writing. I'm not that cruel)

Basil Oh gosh. This was such a random search, because I have a character called Basil, and I wanted to know how well basil grows in summer. *shrugs* This is my writing research for you: basil and blood.


Dragon legends - Basically, Eastern dragons were treated with respect, and Western dragons were slaughtered. I may or may not be planning a book where mythical creatures like dragons, mermaids, sphinxes, leprechauns, etc. live in an alternate world without humans...

Turkish dating customs - In traditional Turkish culture, the father of an eligible girl would place an empty milk bottle on the roof. Whoever knocked the milk bottle down had the right to date his daughter. I didn't end up using this idea because it didn't work with my world-building, but it's an interesting concept. 

     Now for the tagging (be sure to check out all their amazing blogs)!



And of course...YOU! You can take part in this tag too. In fact, I'd love it!

What is your research history like? Do you torture your characters or cuddle them? Have you ever started your own tag? (Which I'm sure is awesome)

16 comments:

  1. Ohhh my god...the first two and then "basil". This is such a unique tag!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! I cracked up when I was scrolling through all these gory searches and hit 'basil.' I must have been bored that day...thanks for commenting, Ellie! XD

      Delete
  2. Thanks for tagging me, Melissa. However, I'm pretty new to the blogosphere and don't know any bloggers to tag. Can I still participate, because I'd love to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're really welcome! That's perfectly fine; I'd love you to do it anyway. :D Thanks for dropping by Rachel!:)

      Delete
  3. Haha, I've often considered sharing some of my stranger searches. Just the other day I searched what would happen if someone died and no one knew about it, but Google failed me because I wanted to know about, like, their records, not how their body would decompose lol.

    It's crazy how much you learn though! Especially when you start getting lost in the research and one thing leads to another which leads to another and by then you've totally forgotten what you were originally searching for or that you're even supposed to be working on a story. Anyway, this is a fun tag :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often have answers I want Google to just pop up for me, but they never seem to appear. Oh well. XD Yep, getting lost in the web happens so easily; one minute you're researching bunnies and the next you're watching a video on how paper is made. Thanks so much for commenting, Kristen! :D

      Delete
  4. Omg this is such a fun tag.😂 Except I haven't even done that much interestingly bloody research for a while! GAH. FAIL TO ME. My most recent researching has included information about leukemia (which I think decided not to put into my book so ALL THAT RESEARCH WASTED BOO) and also information about schizophrenia and Kosechi the Deathless the Russian fairy tale. ALL FOR DIFFERENT BOOKS DON'T WORRY hahaha. oh dear. So random, Cait, so random.

    I love your snippets! Your WIP sounds like it's going to be paaaaian. XD I didn't know that about that Roman custom. Romans were....not really happy people, were they? 0_0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew thank goodness they're for different books! All of that combined could have made my brain explode. I am now intrigued by this Russian fairy tale and must check it out... XD
      Thank you! It will totally include a lot of pain (sorry characters). It was a rare form of Roman military punishment but yeah, not very happy people. I was kind of stunned when I read that and decided to very swiftly move on. Thank you for dropping by, Cait! :D

      Delete
  5. This is such a great idea for a tag! And thanks so much for tagging me! I'm definitely going to do this one.

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you'll take part in it. :D Thanks for commenting, Victoria! :)

      Delete
  6. OMG this was sooo funny. My searches wouldn't be interesting, probably 90% searches for band members.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Thank you! Haha, I had to sort through some random searches too in order to find these ones. Thanks for dropping by! :D

      Delete
  7. These are all so cool! The Roman punishment one is such an interesting (and awful) thing--I would totally use it in a story. *hides* Also, the basil one reminds me of a book I read where a serial killer delivered a severed head in a pot of basil, so there's that. *hides again*

    Thank you for tagging me! I really enjoyed it, although probably a lot if people think I'm a serial killer now. *shifty eyes* Sorry I was late on commenting on this post. I like to wait and comment on ones I'm tagged in once I've done the tag, but I totally forgot. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! No worries about the late commenting; you're not that late, and I love comments at any time! Haha, your post was great if kind of scary.
      Yeah I might end up using the Roman punishment in another story, but it didn't fit in with my current one. Wow. In a pot of basil? I'm not sure if that's interesting or terrifying. XD Thanks so much for commenting! :)

      Delete
  8. My search history is all the weirder because I have a bad habit of inventing my own countries if I don't like the rules of the one that I started out writing in. Hooray for world building in everything from fantasy to mystery! I did tonnes of research on dissociative identity disorder (split personality), then decided that there was no way I'd manage to get it right and didn't use it. Most recently, my research has all been fairy related. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love worldbuilding! I like picking a country on Earth and then completely changing it around to meet the genre, but still putting in a few details for realism. Sounds like you research a lot of interesting stuff! Thanks for dropping by Rain! XD

      Delete