Saturday, 16 July 2016

Am Currently...


     Welcome to the first Am Currently!


     My Am Currently posts will be where I share all my current life happenings, TBRs, new favourite songs, and writing updates. It's a bit like a monthly update, but not as precise on schedule as they could pop up whenever there's new, well, updates.

     Let's get into it, shall we?


     Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard. I'm three quarters through--381 pages to be exact--and though I'm not as big a fan of it as the first book, I've high hopes for the next one. (Oh, and I really ship Cal and Mare)


     I accidentally colour coordinated my book haul this month at the library. This TBR and its gold/blue tones pleased the aesthetic side of me immensely. I've heard great things about all of these books, so I can't wait to dive in!



     The first draft of Golden Revenge is at 78,825 words for the first draft, and it will probably be pushing 100,000 (which is my average book length). I'm completely pantsing this thing apart from a few scenes at the end, so while my characters are making all these complicated plots to get what they want, I'm left in the background like: "Wait, what are you doing? Do you want to explain this to me?"

     Apart from that, I've been tossing around a few new ideas and letting them simmer in my mind and develop. One involves dragons that breathe smoke that make people hallucinate, and the other consists of sassy criminals and a whole lot of murder and mystery.


     My lovely sister introduced me to the Broods, and ever since I've been listening to their music non-stop. My fave songs from their latest album include "Conscious", "Couldn't Believe," and "Heartlines." On top of that Shawn Mendes' "Treat You Better" has me dancing in my seat.


     Tired. As soon as I wrote that I yawned, so yeah. I'm loving my summer break and all the writing time it gives me, but at the same time I've been feeling a little stressed about how I'm going to pull off the end of Golden Revenge. It's a stand alone novel unlike a lot of of my other works and that puts on more pressure to wrap everything up.

How is your writing going? Read any fabulous books lately? (I love getting recommendations!) I hope you're feeling great because all of you are amazing. <3

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with your WIP! Lmao, that's exactly how I am with all my works. The characters just kind of do their own thing and I stand lost and confused in the background. xD
    The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands is a novel I recommend to absolutely EVERYBODY. It involves portion, magic, mystery, explosions, and TONS of high-speed chases. It's absolutely one of the very best books I've read this year.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the characters always seem to take over and do their own thing, leaving me in the dust... Ooohh sounds like a good book. I will definitely check it out, thank you for the recommendation! Thanks for commenting Ellie! :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa.. interesting post :)
    Good luck on your writing :)
    Do you read manga? I am currently reading Ao Haru Ride :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hana! Thank you, I'll need all the luck I can get. XD I can't say I've read much manga as it's hard to get in Thailand, but if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them! Thanks for dropping by! :D

      Delete
  3. Rebel of the Sands was pretty good, and I loved the different setting. Your book sounds so interesting! (And long! Most of my books don't get longer than 60,000 words.) Thanks for visiting The Endless Oceans of my Mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah it is pretty long (mainly because I have a lot of different perspectives, I guess!) Great, I can't wait to get started on Rebel of the Sands. Thanks for dropping by, Victoria! XD

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to read the Red Queen series for ages, so I really should try and get to those at some point soon. And I've heard great things about Rebel of the Sands, so I really hope you enjoy it! :)
    Good luck with the writing! Sounds like you're making a lot of progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am making a lot of progress for once which is great. Sounds like Rebel of the Sands should be my next read! And I loved the Red Queen series so I definitely recommend it. XD Thanks for commenting, Laura! :D

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, I'm listening to the Broods now on your recommendation! :D I love currently posts. It's always so awesome to know what everyone is up to, right?! AND OMG I LOVE YOUR DRAGON IDEA IT IS THE BEST AND I HOPE IT BECOMES A REAL BOOK SOMEDAY. *shrieks*

    I haven't had a terribly good reading month *sad face* but I just finished The Things I Didn't Say which was amazing and I'm looking forward to starting The Memory Book tonight! :D And I've been plotting a really scary dark fantasy and it's SO EXCITING AHHHHH. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I love the Broods! I hope you like their music too. Yeah currently posts are also a great way to pick up book recommendations too. Thank you! I hope it becomes a real book someday too. ;) Dragons for the win!

      Hopefully you read some great books next month. :) Oooohh a dark fantasy? That sounds REALLY cool. Good luck with it! Thanks so much for commenting, Cait!

      Delete