Types of Love Triangles

     It's hard to read any YA without coming across some sort of love triangle. The more I read, the more I see patterns of the kinds of love triangles included. I thought it would be fun to break down the different types of the stereotypical one: two guys falling for one girl. Let's jump in!

    Note: this post involves sarcasm.



1) Brooding vs Optimistic

     This is the type I see most often in YA. The heroine will meet two guys at the same time who are completely different from each other. One is probably blonde, with a charming grin, and eyes like the sea. He's bright, bubbly, and falls madly in love with the heroine. 

     The other is most likely dark haired, who says little and is so mysterious the heroine is drawn to him. Dark-Haired is a rebel with a cause, and loves the heroine, but is afraid to say it. Oh, and they're both devastatingly attractive and make butterflies flutter around in her stomach.

      But she chooses the latter because every heroine is drawn to the tragically misunderstood rebel.



2) Perfect vs Perfect

     The two guys are both extremely muscular, make all the girls sigh as they walk past, and seem to have no flaws except maybe a past they can't control. The heroine is, of course, equally in love with both of them, and just can't choose! 

     But don't worry, one of them will probably betray her trust, so she'll won't have any problems choosing anymore!



3) New vs Past

     In this love triangle, the heroine is torn between an old friend she's grown up with and a dashing young man she's just met. Should she go with the guy she knows well, or throw all caution to the wind and be swept up by the new one? 



Bonus: Love Square/Pentagon/Decagon

     This heroine can never seem to find the right guy, and every man she sets her sights on loves her within hours. It seems by the end of each book her current guy betrays her, she doesn't like him anymore, and then finds someone else. Of course, since her exes never seem to get over her, it can make things a little more complicated...


I'm curious; do you enjoy love triangles if they're done right, or do you steer clear of them completely? Which of the above love triangles do you see a lot? Any types that I missed?

Comments

  1. Hilarious, as well as true. Great post. However, if a love triangle is nicely done, I don't mind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I also don't mind a love triangle, as long as it isn't stereotypical and all the characters are well rounded. Thanks so much for commenting! :D

      Delete
  2. Great post!
    Personally, I'm not sure I've seen a well done love-triangle. Every single one of them has ended badly in my eyes. Maybe it's just that my genres (YA fantasy and sci-fi) isn't good with them, I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've read a few well done love triangles such as the one in the Crewel series, but you're right, most aren't handled that great. Those genres seem to have plenty of love triangles, too. XD Thanks for dropping by Kylie! :D

      Delete
  3. Great post! These are so true! I have seen loads of cases of the first one especially, and I always end up liking the optimistic guy the best, but the heroine always seems to pick the humourless brooding guy, and I just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I totally get what you're saying; I'm often intrigued by the the brooding guy, but I usually side with the optimistic guy. The heroine can choose who she wants, but I find it a little unrealistic if she never chooses the optimistic guy. Thanks so much for commenting! XD

      Delete
  4. Oops, I seem to be writing a classic Love Triangle Type 1 (except the optimistic guy is a redhead). I guess I must like love triangles, as long as they contribute properly to character development. I really enjoyed your post!

    ~Anna
    thestoryscientistblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Don't worry about following the first classic type of love triangle; it's the best one of the types above. If you can pull it off, I'm sure it will work great. :) Yes, character development can definitely come from love triangles! Thanks for dropping by, Anna! :D

      Delete
  5. Cool topic of discussion! I think a well done love triangle can work well. I like the love triangles in the Hunger Games and Pride and Prejudice. And I liked the love square in the Host. I've experienced a love triangle in real life so they do actually exist. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! I also liked the Hunger Games love triangle, even though I had a clear preference from the beginning. I've never experienced a love triangle in real life, but I'm sure they must happen, as you say. :) Thanks for commenting! XD

      Delete
  6. I really like love triangles when they're done well! But the ones you described do seem to be the main kinds. The Brooding vs. Optimistic is probably the most annoying and predictable kind. I am actually in a series that doesn't fall into any of your categories. It's basically Screwed Up vs. Screwed Up, so... points for originality lol.

    Oh, but anything more than a triangle and I start getting annoyed. I can believe two guys into one girl, but I draw the line when there's like five guys all into the same girl and she's into all of them, and it's like EVERY SINGLE guy she meets is immediately into her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha definitely points for originality! I always seem to internally sigh whenever I see Brooding vs Optimistic done in a cliche way. Oh yeah, when every single guy she finds attractive falls madly in love with her, I get incredibly frustrated. Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Kristen! :D

      Delete
  7. Love triangles are so complicated to like sometimes! New vs past really gets into my nerves I think, I mostly hate the new guy when I'm happy with a ship lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love triangles definitely play with your feels! I always find it hard to choose in the new vs past, especially if both are nice guys. I hate it when a ship I like it broken up too; it's so sad! Thank you for dropping by Mica! :)

      Delete
  8. I adore love triangles if they're done the right way (for me, the main things are keeping me guessing up until the end and the love triangle not taking over too much of the plot, unless it's specifically a romance novel), but ones like THG where you KNEW from the beginning whom Katniss would choose bother me.

    Ellie |On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can get quite frustrated when the characters are spending all their energy trying to figure out the love triangle when the world needs saving or something. Focus on your relationships later! Oh yeah, I also knew who Katniss would choose so I didn't really see the point to it being in the book. Thanks for commenting! :D

      Delete
  9. Great observations! :D
    It is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually steer clear...😂 BUT THEY CAN BE DONE WELL!! So I really shouldn't whine too much ahhhaa. Ahem. One of my favourite books of ever (The Hunger Games) has a love triangle and I think it does it really well! Same as The Mortal Instruments. But yeeeah, mostly? I feel like love triangles are added in just to make it all angsty and it usually detracts from the plot. :( OH. And why aren't there more 2 girls to 1 boy!? I never see those!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We totally need more love triangles with 2 girls and 1 guy! I can't seem to think of any books I've read with that...huh. I don't really mind love triangles if they're done well. XD Thanks for dropping by, Cait! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts