Saturday, 4 June 2016

Book Review: "Rook" by Sharon Cameron


*Note: this post contains my honest opinions, and my opinions only. I never mean to hate or bash on an author or any work they do. I am simply putting how I viewed a book as a whole, and I encourage everyone to try every book I review if you believe you would enjoy it.*

"Rook" by Sharon Cameron was one of those books I bought more for the cover than anything else. The blurb sounded good, but the broken Eiffel Tower and the vibrant red-tipped feather just called to me. Can we just admire the brilliant cover for a moment? Can we?

Beautiful.


The blurb:

     History has a way of repeating itself. In the Sunken City that was once Paris, all who oppose the new revolution are being put to the blade. Except for those who disappear from their prison cells, a red-tipped rook feather left in their place. Is the mysterious Red Rook a savior of the innocent or a criminal?

     Meanwhile, across the sea in the Commonwealth, Sophia Bellamy’s arranged marriage to the wealthy René Hasard is the last chance to save her family from ruin. But when the search for the Red Rook comes straight to her doorstep, Sophia discovers that her fiancé is not all he seems. Which is only fair, because neither is she. 

     As the Red Rook grows bolder and the stakes grow higher, Sophia and René find themselves locked in a tantalizing game of cat and mouse.

What I Liked:

- This book started off really great for me, with lots of action and mystery. It really drew me in, but I was thrown off a bit when there was about two or three point-of-view changes within the space of a few pages. But I’ll excuse that because I love intense beginnings. So! Much! Action!

- The premise of a society that lost our technology intrigued me. It was fun to try and figure out what certain objects were that the characters described as ‘things from the Ancients.’ A character, Tom, even collected broken objects such as old gaming controls.

- The cover. I know I’m not supposed to judge a book by the cover, but I do.

- I was kept guessing in a lot about what the characters would do, which encouraged me to keep reading.

- The main POV, Sophia Bellamy, has many secrets and is not afraid to stand up for herself. She's wicked good with a sword, but often uses her intelligence as a weapon as well.

What I Didn’t Like:

I had two major issues with this book: characters and pacing.

- Even tough I liked Sophia, the characters all felt...the same. Or at least, the major ones. They were all intelligent, cold at times, witty, and secretive. I had trouble connecting with most of them, which could be a personality thing, but it might have been they felt flat because of their similarities. 
Another reason I didn’t connect was because there were comments dropped by characters like: "Tom. Good, sweet Tom, who did everything for me." This would be fine if I actually agreed with the statement/was shown it through that character’s actions.

- The pacing started off very fast, but then kind of dragged in the middle. I felt like I knew what the climax of the entire book would be a couple chapters in, and it took all the space in between planning for that. And more planning. This is why it took me several weeks to read through the book; I felt like I was creeping along the pages instead of sprinting.

Overall, it was an enjoyable book, but it still had flaws which were a problem for me. So, as a grand total I give it...


Have you read Rook before? If so, did you like it? If you haven't, do you think you'll add it to your enormous TBR? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet but I kiiiind of want to? Although most reviews I see for it are around 3stars. GAH. I mean, the premise is AMAZING but I'm really worried about the slow pacing. I get bored too easily. SIIIIGH. I still will probably try it someday though, because Paris = <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Paris setting part of this book was great, totally. But the pacing was my least favourite part. Maybe the audio book would be better? Definitely give it a try though (the hard cover copy feels amazing). Thanks for reading and commenting, Cait! XD

      Delete