Sunday, 10 April 2016

Stardust and Dreams



       Sometimes a sentence will pop into your mind, and you can’t shake it off. It sticks like caramel, sickly sweet and quick to fasten to your teeth. The sentence is everywhere for a few days, and then it fades into the background. It’s a favourite doll set aside when its owner has grown up.

       All we are is stardust and dreams, latched onto my mind during a road trip through the Thai mountains a few months ago. 

I immediately scribbled it down. I could imagine a character hugging their knees, staring at the sky, world torn apart, saying the quote. It struck deep with what I thought was truth.

Not quite knee hugging, but you get the idea.

       I eventually forgot about it.

       But a few weeks ago, it rose from the watery depths of my creative brain, and I reconsidered it. I considered it for not only the characters we write, but ourselves, and I realized something.

We are more than stardust and dreams.

       We have strengths, weaknesses, flaws, quirks, goals, joys, dislikes, passions, families, and yes, dreams. But we are not dust stuffed with make-shift dreams and given hope one day we might accomplish them. We are creations of the Living God; we are his children.

       If we tell ourselves that we are not made of anything important, we are failing to see the story God is writing for us. He is the author of our story, and we are the fully dimensional characters.

       So if you think you are pieces of the heavens it didn’t want anymore, dropped and forgotten, take a deep breath. Look at every part of your heart and mind. There are emotions. There are thoughts. There are promises. There is God’s lingering touch, the message that says, I made you. I made you for a reason.

       God has never regretted making you, because you are more than stardust and dreams.

You are special.

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Welcome to the blogging community! Can't wait to see more from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm loving the community already. :D

      Delete
  2. Aw, this is really beautiful! And I love that sentence and I also love how it grew over time too...(stardust is just such a fantastic word, I LOVE IT.)

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cait! Yes, stardust is a really fun word to say. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :D

      Delete
  3. Good word! Welcome to the blogosphere, Melissa! Great to have you!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This is... wonderful! I think I shall be following your blog!

    And hi, I'm Hann! :)

    ReplyDelete